Cheese Waxing

Discussions about Food Storage
HopeImReady
Canada

Re: Cheese Waxing

Post by HopeImReady » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:07 pm

I cut open one of each type of waxed cheese from October 2015 (3 blocks in about 12). So far so good ! :) Two had a bit of clear slime between the blocks but it did not smell and did not seem to affect the taste. I'll know within 24 hrs I guess. Haha.

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Danux
Canada

Post by Danux » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Well, I opened my waxed cheddar up last week. Phew, not good. They'd purged a bunch of liquid, to the point they burst the wax, like a scab gone bad. The cheese has lost its colour, and I didn't dare eat it. I'm guessing that I didn't dry it out enough before waxing. For now, freezing, or perhaps dehydrating, will be the way for me.

HopeImReady
Canada

Post by HopeImReady » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:59 pm

Oh no! Good thing you didn't eat it! Was it an aged cheddar or a newer one? Where did you store it? I am storing mine downstairs where it is cooler, gets humid but I use a dehumidifier usually, I wonder if that makes a diff.
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Danux
Canada

Post by Danux » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:00 pm

It was Kraft Crackerbarrel cheddar, just in a cabinet in the kitchen. Reaches maybe 26C in the summer. I would think that the wax coating would nullify and ambient humidity. I'm quite sure it was primarily the water remaining in the cheese that has given me grief here. Perhaps next time I'll slice it thinner and dry it much better before waxing.

bacon&cheese
Canada

Post by bacon&cheese » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:42 pm

How where do you get the wax, price?

HopeImReady
Canada

Post by HopeImReady » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:49 pm

I bought mine online from Make Cheese.ca https://www.makecheese.ca/ The beeswax wax was $12.50 and the brush was $2.95 but the shipping was outrageous - $16!! If I were to order again, I'd get more wax or go in with others to make the shipping worth it. Glengarry Cheesemaking is the other big one but I don't know what their prices are like.
HopeImReady

Danux
Canada

Post by Danux » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:26 am

bacon&cheese wrote:How where do you get the wax, price?
I got mine from makecheese.ca, there's a link in the first page of this thread.

HopeImReady
Canada

Post by HopeImReady » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:47 pm

I broke open the remainder of the waxed cheese I had been storing since fall of 2015. I waxed Edam, New Amsterdam (an aged Gouda) and some sharp cheddar. Well, I am sorry to say that only the Edam turned out edible. The rest had either a moldy stripe in them, or were covered in little bumps. Even though I cut that away, I tasted some and it aged so much it was too strong. I like my cheese sharp but not that sharp ;) ! I am guessing that either it was not airtight (which I find strange since it was in several layers of well-set wax - or it was too humid where I was storing it, or the wax was not dry enough when I waxed it. Either way I don't really like the taste so it is a moot point. I guess I will stick with freezing hard cheeses for now.
HopeImReady

Danux
Canada

Post by Danux » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:09 pm

Too bad. I really wanted this waxing thing to work for me as well. I guess I could purchased pre-waxed cheeses, to get around something I may be doing wrong, but I think it is just the type of cheese I was waxing - the cheese itself has to be very dry first. I suppose of the end of times comes, I'll just have to know how to grow my own cheese, instead. Like you, for now, I am just freezing mine.

Return to “Food Storage”