Storing Grains and flours

Discussions about Food Storage
westshield
Canada

Storing Grains and flours

Post by westshield » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:06 pm

Hey, I've got a question in regards to keeping flour and specifically rolled oats. I know flour can be stored for up to a couple years as long as its frozen correct? Are rolled oats the same? Whole oat berries can be kept longer correct? but if they're steel cut or rolled how long can they be kept?

There are more people prepared for a zombie apocalypse than a week without electricity.

To fix that check out www.westshieldoutpost.ca

Adagio
Canada

Re: Storing Grains and flours

Post by Adagio » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:42 pm

The Utah State University has been researching long term food storage for many years and they say that refined flours (white) and most oats and grains have a long term shelf life of up to 30 years if stored in optimal conditions. Vacuum sealed in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, inside food grade buckets with tight fitting lids and kept in a cool dark dry area (with very little temperature fluctuations). The biggest reason for freezing flours and oats is to limit bug infestations. It does not kill these little  buggers but they become dormant and then if vacuum sealed they have no oxygen to propagate.

valleygal
Canada

Post by valleygal » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:37 am

Who would store white flour anyways? I keep very little and I have never had it go buggy or had mice try to get at it. They know it has no nutrition. I do buy whole wheat flour because it it is still fairly cheap and saves my arm from grinding the grain. I read 6 mos for storage but I have a cold storage and it keeps there much longer. Oatmeal is a good keeper so long as you are sure it is bug free. I got some in #10 cans from LDS for long term and a big bag for shorter term. It's in pails but no myler. I take out some monthly to use in kitchen. Kept in root cellar too.

westshield
Canada

Post by westshield » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:48 pm

Sorry for not replying sooner. Thanks guys. I've been told flour doesn't store as long unless frozen b/c of natural oils right? But I wasn't referring to whit flour, but why not store it if you can?

Are rolled or steel cut oats ok to store for long periods? I was told the same about some natural oils.
There are more people prepared for a zombie apocalypse than a week without electricity.

To fix that check out www.westshieldoutpost.ca

Adagio
Canada

Post by Adagio » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:02 am

Whole wheat flours, oily grains, seeds, fats and oils do not hold up well in long term storage. They can go bad fairly quickly. If you have the space you can store these in the freezer, but in a true SHTF scenario you may not have electricity to run the freezer (unless you have an alternative means of power). There are a few exceptions to the rule. Hard grains (Buckwheat, hard red wheat, corn etc. (you will need a grain mill to turn these into flour) clarified butter (ghee), coconut oil, and Lard will hold up for years if stored in optimal conditions. Cool (little to no temperature fluctuations between 40 to 70F, dry, dark area, oxygen free and protected against critters/bugs. And yes rolled and steel cut oats will last a very long time if kept under the same optimal conditions.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:34 pm

We store white flour with no issue. Granted we don't pack it up for 20+ years of storage and keep about a year's worth on hand.
We buy it in 20kg bags from Costco, freeze it for a few days in the deep freeze to kill the weevil eggs, then drop it in a tote or bucket to keep the mice at bay.
Normal rotation (first in, first out) keeps it fresh enough to use.
Is it the most nutritious? Not likely, but it provides bulk and calories, which are important.

Adagio
Canada

Post by Adagio » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:48 pm

You are absolutely correct. White flour stores very well for a year + without any problems and no need to keep under special conditions. Btw have you ever gone to Distribution Alimentaire Aubut Inc. 3975 St Ambroise, Montréal. It's a wholesale resturant supply store that's open to the public. The prices better than costco and mostly everything is in bulk.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:57 pm

Adagio wrote:You are absolutely correct. White flour stores very well for a year + without any problems and no need to keep under special conditions. Btw have you ever gone to Distribution Alimentaire Aubut Inc. 3975 St Ambroise, Montréal. It's a wholesale resturant supply store that's open to the public. The prices better than costco and mostly everything is in bulk.
I will check them out for sure

Adagio
Canada

Post by Adagio » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:07 pm

And you don't need a membership to get in. Here's the link.
http://www.aubut.ca/

Dakota
Canada

Post by Dakota » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:03 am

We store white flour due to its shelf life. Yes, brown is a healthier but white flour has a 20 year shelf life if bucketed correctly.
We put our flour bags in the freezer for a week or two and then Mylar (oxygen eaters) and bucket for the shelves.
I have recently opened a couple buckets dated from 2000 and they were great! I'm very impressed with the longevity of this item. My oatmeal, prepared the same way, was equally impressive. I'm just now rotating my long term stock so it is a opportunity to see if the shelf life suggestions were accurate. It is satisfying to see that all my prepped food is still viable.
There was always a part of me that doubted the suggested shelf life time given....now I know for sure!!!
Hope this is helpful for folk.

Return to “Food Storage”