BPA

Discussions about Food Storage
helicopilot
Canada

Re: BPA

Post by helicopilot » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Ah man... Am I going to need to dust off my old peacekeeping blue helmet I have stashed somewhere??

I've always seen this forum as a place to gain knowledge, exchange ideas, learn from others and banter a bit. I love reading others' posts when they have in-depth knowledge on a topic. Likely like most though, I very much dislike when someone comes in and preach to all, post-nominal credentials as evidence or not. I commend people that can argue their points based on good Intentions and without disrespect toward the other members.

Reddawn your experience and expertise puts you in a great position and I personally appreciate the knowledge you share - timely as I'm just getting into canning - but please consider how you convey your message.

Now, I'll go do what I see sensible after being offered new information here: go double-check the data that's available on the topic.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi Helicopliet

If you are reading on the USA sites, you will hear folks talk about the Big Ball Book..

For your interest, the Canadian "version in loose terms" is the Bernardin Complete book of Home Preserving.. its got you covered from start to finish, about 400 recipes, details on jam, Jellies, putting up fruit of all kinds, to a wide range of pickles and sauces, covering the items that will use waterbath canning and it has a smaller section at the rear that will cover pressure canning in detail including all basics and a reasonable amount of recipes as well.

Best of luck in your journey into canning..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:45 pm

Thanks Farmgal! I see a new book coming to a mailbox near me!

Question of general interest: is there a "good" time to watch for sales on canning products? I assume the end of harvest season, but is there a magical date I should put in my calendar for the Edmonton region? Looking at picking up a pressure canner as well as different size jars, lids and rings. If anyone has insider knowledge of good deals and you don't mind sharing, PM me.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:04 am

I will share here for the general info and if anyone knows more on the local "Edmonton" area all the better..

Very rarely you can find a pressure canner go on sale for about 50 dollars off at home hardware stores in the fall but your best deal for them will be around xmas on amazon.. I have seen them and gotten them (I have more then one) at 50% off at that time and even though I do not need more at this time, I see them hit that sale point every year on amazon.

As for the jars.. its totally hit and miss, my best advice is to learn the canning section of your store and keep a eye on it.. one year I picked up two shopping carts of jars at half off in a Walmart but I have never seen it before or since, I bought them out that's for sure.

Last year, I was able to get a steal of a deal on tattlers in Canadian Tire because they started carrying them and then they did not sell well enough so they discontinued them, I drove to every town around me and bought hundreds of them at a fraction of the normal price..

This week I was able to pick up case lots of lids and rings at 48 percent off at a local food basic's..

For what its worth, the cheaper Walmart brand jars hold up well to waterbath canning year after year but they do not hold up to the extra wear and tear of pressure canning (per my own experance only) and so I do buy the most costly Bernardin jars for my pressure canner and they do great year after year.

My mom has picked up good deals at her local peevy mart in Red Deer..

Learner
Canada

Post by Learner » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:20 am

Totally agree with farmgal on using the Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving, have and use that one a lot. There is also a much thinner Bernardin canning book that Peavey Mart, Home Hardware sell and that one is very good also, (it is a more basic simple book). I use both of these for water bath and pressure canning. I purchased my pressure canner at HH, but have noticed that Peavey Mart has them for about $130-140. This is for the Presto brand.

Walmart is about the cheapest for jars, unless you manage to find some at a garage sale and sometimes the thrift shop has them there too. Dollarama also sells some canning jars (not sure about quality) and you can sometimes find the metal lids there too for cheaper.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:18 pm

OK, I don't know how I missed this earlier in the conversation but Bernardin has been producing BPA free lids since 2015.
I verified this on the boxes of lids I picked up this year...there is a red square on the box with "BPA FREE" on it!

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:50 pm

Yes, I had notice that, and the Tattler Lids and rings are say that they are BPA free as well

http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/BPA_Free.html

Are TATTLER Reusable Canning Lids Safe?    

In one single word, YES!  TATTLER Reusable Plastic Canning Lids are manufactured using a plastic compound that is safe for direct contact with food products.  We utilize an FDA and USDA approved, food grade product known as Polyoxymethylene Copolymer (POM) or Acetal Copolymer.

The rubber rings (gaskets) are made from a food grade nitrile rubber and contain no latex.

Neither formulation contains any Bisphenol A (BPA) or phthalates!

TATTLER Reusable Plastic Canning Lids are manufactured using a plastic compound that is safe for direct contact with food products.We utilize an FDA and USDA approved, food grade product known as Polyoxymethylene Copolymer (POM) or Acetal Copolymer.

The product we use is compliant with applicable FDA regulations for food contact subject to the limitations listed below. This product is formulated using polyacetal base resin that is compliant for use in food contact applications according to (CFR), Title 21, 177.2470. Any additives, that may be present, comply with appropriate, specific FDA Regulations.

Limitations:
Types of food: All types of food except foods containing 15% or more alcohol.
Conditions of Use: Use temperature not to exceed 250 deg F per 177.2470.
Additionally, this plastic is approved by the USDA for direct contact use with meat and poultry products, as well as meeting the Sanitary Standards 3A Compliance for the Dairy and Food Industries Supply Association (DFISA).

What about Formaldehyde?
Many questions have been asked about the existence of formaldehyde in Acetal Copolymer.  While it is true formaldehyde is present in trace amounts, research proves it is only released at very high temperatures, well above any temperatures found in home food canning.  Here are the facts.

Heating our brand of acetal copolymer above 460 degrees F (238 C) should be avoided.  At these temperatures, formaldehyde, a colorless and irritating gas that can be harmful in high concentrations, is generated.

oldschool
Canada

Post by oldschool » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:32 pm

Helicopilot
When you purchase a pressure canner, they also include a small "how to" booklet to get you started.

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Post by thecrownsown » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:28 pm

Denob wrote:OK, I don't know how I missed this earlier in the conversation but Bernardin has been producing BPA free lids since 2015.
I verified this on the boxes of lids I picked up this year...there is a red square on the box with "BPA FREE" on it!
Thats good to know they are BPA free. Thats what we used for our first real batch of pickling... without the local mennonites hanging over our shoulders to make sure we know what we are doing! :)

We made hot pickled green tomatoes....(photo attached!) Since the BPA "crisis" is put to bed...quick question on canning...even though we packed the jars tight...it seems we've left about 30% of the space in the jars once the fluid is added...everything floats to the top and we've wasted all that space...is there a way to get around this? When we can some more food later on this year I dont want to have 30% of the space empty...
Attachments
IMG_20160907_170314.jpg
IMG_20160907_170314.jpg (159.27 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:50 pm

I get the same issue, but not all the time.
The first year I tried pressure canning I freaked out at how much space there was at the bottom...
From what I was told...it's shrinkage during processing.
Kind of makes sense I guess...lots of food shrinks down when you cook it and the temps in a pressure canner are even higher than that.
But then again I only have a few years experience...maybe one of the more experienced canners like FARMGAL (nudge nudge) could weigh in on this?

Return to “Food Storage”