Freeze dried machine

Discussions about Food Storage
Sylvie2674
Canada

Freeze dried machine

Post by Sylvie2674 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Good day to everyone that reads this :D
So I was watching one of my favourite you tuber for preparedness and he mentioned that you can buy freeze dried machines..
I have just spent the last hour trying to find one online. Hopefully from a Canadian company.
I tried a bunch of different search engines and all the most popular sites; Both amazons, kiji, eBay, and Craigslist.
Search engines were; Yahoo, google,DuckDuckGo, explorer, chrome and Firefox.
Am I missing something? Do they actually make personal freeze dried machines or do I have to look for an industrial one?
I would ever so grateful if someone had any ideas or has an actual machine.

Thank you in advance for all your help

I prep for my daughters, for they are our future.
I prep for the short and long term. Everyday I strive to learn something new.
I prep for community. For in the long run each of us need one another.

Adagio
Canada

Re: Freeze dried machine

Post by Adagio » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:31 pm

I have been looking at freeze driers for home use and they look amazing. A bit pricy with the smallest one for 2.595.00 US. The company is out of Utah but they deliver to Canada. I imagine the shipping charges alone would be crazy expensive. But an interesting option all the same.

Check out their website:

https://harvestright.com/
Last edited by Adagio on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:42 pm

I love the idea of it, but its costly enough that I will put it on the list but I expect that a number of things will be got before it :)
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

morningcoffee
Canada

Post by morningcoffee » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:21 pm

I have looked longingly at these for quite some time and we have a US mailing address at one of the Kinek locations in Babb, Montana, but with the rising cost of electricity in Alberta with the new carbon tax the actual purchase makes me gulp. Each batch can take up to 40 hours to fully dry and they require a dedicated 20 amp circuit which could add up quickly. With current exchange rates, the price would be in the $3400.00 CDN range and while freeze dried meats would give a quicker payback, most vegetables and fruits are in the $35.00-50.00 range. Nutristore has a deal on in Canada with an online source for $630.00 for 24 cans of various vegetables and that comes down to 26.25 a can and I purchased some Nutristore meat products from a southern Alberta online company during their Black Friday sales and got chicken in #10 cans for under $60 CDN and hamburger was under $70. I even got sweet potatoes and tomatoes for about $22/can. I will continue canning meat when I get a deal and add to our stocks of freeze-dried when items come on sale. I have dehydrated mushrooms, celery, carrots, bananas and as long as you rotate your inventory they will work for a reasonably long term storage option. That said if you get one and want to share ...we don't live that far apart! :lol:
"It's better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret"

Learner
Canada

Post by Learner » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:23 pm

This has been on our wish list for a couple of years now. Sadly, its on the bottom, as the price of it and the exchange, shipping and just running it don't make it feasible for us at this point.

Nagol
Canada

Post by Nagol » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:50 pm

The majority of the cost is the vacuum pump.
As for the 20 amp circuit, the initial draw will be high when the pump and compressor come on but will drop to a minimum when it is just maintaining a temperature.

I am a refrigeration tech with 20 years in the trade, while the concept is not overly difficult to build, its the separation of water from the air before it hits the pump that is tough to do.

Beyond the price tag of getting the unit here, I would be worried about service. I don't imagine there are many people capable of fixing them.

Beyond that, from everything I have read, there are issues with proteins breaking down long term.

For myself, it is still a possbility of buying one as I have a very restrictive diet, both lactose and Gluten free by necessity. As a result any pre packaged options are limited and very expensive.

Return to “Food Storage”