Peanut Butter

Discussions about Food Storage
CanCricket
Canada

Peanut Butter

Post by CanCricket » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:33 pm

I get my groceries delivered, due to a lack of transportation, and I've had some bad luck ordering peanut butter for my emergency food supply. The jars of Kraft they send always seem to be expiring in a couple of months. Obviously, I need to be buying my peanut butter in person, to check the expiry dates myself. But maybe it's just the brand? Does anyone store a brand that has a much longer expiry date? I always thought that peanut butter stored well long term, but maybe it doesn't.

farmgal
Canada

Re: Peanut Butter

Post by farmgal » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:08 pm

I have picked up peanut butter that is at least two years out from the use by date, I have also seen them put it on big time sales when it has less then 8 weeks.. having said that, I find it does hold in the cold cellar for a good while past the by date.. I find that the smooth does better then the chunky on this..

I only ever buy Kraft.. not sure on other brands.
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

morningcoffee
Canada

Post by morningcoffee » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:50 pm

We have picked up several of the new peanut butter powders. Just add water and mix and ta da...peanut butter. There are several brands available and you might want to taste small amounts as some are sweeter, some are peanuttier.
"It's better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret"

CanCricket
Canada

Post by CanCricket » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:08 am

I've seen those peanut butter powders and I've wondered what the 'reconstituted' version tastes like. Is it fairly comparable to peanut butter you can buy in jars? It's quite expensive, so I've hesitated in buying any, in case it's not very good.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:03 am

I just seen this powdered peanut butter at the Bulk Barn today, they only had one kind, and I thought the price high. I usually swing by once a month or so to see what they have on sale, when this goes on sale I will give it a try. How does its taste compare to regular peanut butter?
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Learner
Canada

Post by Learner » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:06 pm

Agree with farmgal that the sales seem to be when the date is close. We have still bought it and stored it, we only buy the smooth peanut butter. We are currently using a jar (Kraft) that is from 2015. Kraft seems to keep fairly well, had a Great Value brand prior to that and it had to be stirred frequently.

morningcoffee
Canada

Post by morningcoffee » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:45 pm

We are keeping the powdered peanut butter for rv use and emergency use mainly, but it works really well in smoothies, I can see that it would work well to make peanut butter frosting, etc. Some of the brands are sweeter than others, but they do taste like peanut butter. We have tried it on toast and found it quite good.
~w~
"It's better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret"

kootenay kid
Canada

Post by kootenay kid » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:20 pm

The jar of Kraft smooth I am currently using has a best before date of August 2015. I'm the only one that eats it, so it gets used slowly. This one is still good. I had some for breakfast this morning, no problem.

Adavant
Canada

Post by Adavant » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Keep your spare peanut butter in a cool place..fridge or freezer and it will last a lot longer than what the best by date says.. remember, it's only a best buy date, not an expiry date..

Return to “Food Storage”