RECIPES

Discussions about Food Storage
Wayne
Canada

RECIPES

Post by Wayne » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:27 am

It's the day after disaster, you're on your own. What are some of the recipe's you'll make in the future (or have made in preparation)?

I'll get the ball rolling...

Pemmican Recipe

Ingredients:

-4 cups lean meat (deer, beef, caribou or moose)
-3 cups dried fruit (dried blueberries and raisins are great)
-2 cups rendered fat
-Unsalted nuts
-2 ounces of honey

Instructions:

Meat should be as lean as possible and double ground from your butcher (if you do not have you own meat grinder).

Spread it out very thin on a cookie sheet and dry at 180 degrees F for at least 8 hours or until sinewy and crispy (you can also just start out by using jerky made from beef, bear, elk, deer or moose).

Pound the meat into a nearly powder consistency using a blender or other tool (cleaned rocks work well).

Grind the dried fruit, but leave it a little bit lumpy for texture.

Rendered fat on medium heat until liquid.

Add liquid fat to dried meat and dried fruit, and mix in nuts and honey. Mix everything by hand.

Let cool and store. Can keep and be consumed for several years.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

Wayne
Canada

Re: RECIPES

Post by Wayne » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Rendering Bear Fat

Survival may depend upon living off the land and hunting for food. Regardless of the animal, the highest caloric part of the animal is in the fat. Rendering this fat properly can make a real difference to the shelf-life and what it may be ideally used for.

There are different ways of rendering fat. The aim is to separate the fat from what I like to call the grease (the good stuff). This is done by slowly melting the fat and insuring that it doesn't scorch. Personally, I like to do this by placing the fat in about a half-an-inch of water.

The first-step is to separate the fat from the meat ensuring that only the fat is taken. Any meat used in this process will tend to corrupt the fat, give-off a foul odour and lower the storage life of the fat,

Some people like to grind the fat before placing it onto the heat source. I find that slicing it thinly will encourage the melting process. If you have power, a slow cooker is ideal on low heat. Otherwise place about two inches of sand over hot coals and use this as a heat source.

Leave the fat on the heat until you're sure that it has completely separated. As long as it doesn't start to smoke the heat is fine. Leaving it heat for a longer period of time will not adversely affect the final product. Once complete, you'll notice that the fat that started out as flesh colored. Once refrigerated the fat will be snow white. The mark of high quality 'grease.'

Bear Fat has many uses: as an ingredient in pemmican, used for baking (as you would lard), to waterproof footwear, as an ointment for stiff muscles, to deter black flies and mosquito and as a skin moisturiser. The grease (if rendered properly) will not have an offensive odour.

oldschool
Canada

Post by oldschool » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:56 am

I used to make my own MRE and based a lot of my recipes from the Backpacking Chef.

Wayne
Canada

Post by Wayne » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:04 pm

oldschool wrote:I used to make my own MRE and based a lot of my recipes from the Backpacking Chef.
Perhaps you might like to share a couple of your favorites... :-)

oldschool
Canada

Post by oldschool » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:02 pm

Wayne wrote:
oldschool wrote:I used to make my own MRE and based a lot of my recipes from the Backpacking Chef.
Perhaps you might like to share a couple of your favorites... :-)
just google the Backpacking Chef for a lot of recipes

I used to do the bread pudding one and take it to work for my lunch lol

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:48 pm

Thanks to one and all for great tips.
Have a great long, happy, healthy, safe and hearty meal weekend

Return to “Food Storage”