Pressure canners

Discussions about Food Storage
peppercorn

Re: Pressure canners

Post by peppercorn » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:59 am

farmgal wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:15 pm
Peppercorn.. if you really want a pressure canner this year.. look at the all american.. they cost 3 to 5 times more then the presto's but they do not need the seals and they will outlast you.. they are insane work horse's but most folks can not afford them.. nor can their stoves carry the weight (remember glass top stoves and pressure canners do not mix well) so they might still be available..

FG
Ok, I will take a look at those, I should be in the city sometime in the next few days. Why when I see the specs of the pressure canners do I see them list how many pint and quart jars they hold but I dont think I have seen a spec for how many 1/2 gallon jars they hold (1.9 liter size) I have a huge amount of half gallon jars and want to be able to use them.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:58 pm

[/quote]
Ok, I will take a look at those, I should be in the city sometime in the next few days. Why when I see the specs of the pressure canners do I see them list how many pint and quart jars they hold but I dont think I have seen a spec for how many 1/2 gallon jars they hold (1.9 liter size) I have a huge amount of half gallon jars and want to be able to use them.
[/quote]

morning that would ecause half gallons are not considered safe by the canning centers they are storage jars for dried goods or they are used for fermenting .. not for active canning.. so the canner are not built for them nor give the stats for them.. sorry
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:22 pm

Peppercorn. Et al: Below is a link to what we found as a very good company. We brought in a bread maker for One of our children as a Christmas present. Very friendly, prompt email responses and delivery was as promised. Plus it’s canadian. Best of luck to all.

https://www.cookstore.ca/catalogsearch/ ... ure+canner

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:21 am

farmgal wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:58 pm
[/quote]

morning that would ecause half gallons are not considered safe by the canning centers they are storage jars for dried goods or they are used for fermenting .. not for active canning.. so the canner are not built for them nor give the stats for them.. sorry
[/quote]

I have screwed up big time then, as I have been been buying a case each time I am at CT. I could have swore I had watched some u tubers canning with them. Is it possible that there is miss-information on youtube?

Was in HH and Peavey Mart, both out of canners. That link you posted Clarence, shows every model on back order.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:50 am

Clarence wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:22 pm
Peppercorn. Et al: Below is a link to what we found as a very good company. We brought in a bread maker for One of our children as a Christmas present. Very friendly, prompt email responses and delivery was as promised. Plus it’s canadian. Best of luck to all.

https://www.cookstore.ca/catalogsearch/ ... ure+canner
The 25 quart size All American Canner looks to be a reasonable size to start out with as a beginner .

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:26 am

Peppercorn, consider putting a ad up looking for a pressure canner on your local buy ands sell.. as money get tighter peaple will e looking to sell things and there will e pressure canners sitting in basements gotten but not used.. maybe you can snap one up..
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:08 pm

peppercorn wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:21 am
farmgal wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:58 pm
[/quote]

I have screwed up big time then, as I have been been buying a case each time I am at CT. I could have swore I had watched some u tubers canning with them. Is it possible that there is miss-information on youtube?

Was in HH and Peavey Mart, both out of canners. That link you posted Clarence, shows every model on back order.
[/quote]

Peppercorn, I only noticed two canners on back order! and I know that because I was curious and had paid attention. Once again, it seems that things change in minutes to hours! I swear, we had best look real hard at what it is we want or need and aggressively snag while one still can ( no pun intended) This time next summer is going to look real interesting.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:03 am

farmgal wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:26 am
Peppercorn, consider putting a ad up looking for a pressure canner on your local buy ands sell.. as money get tighter peaple will e looking to sell things and there will e pressure canners sitting in basements gotten but not used.. maybe you can snap one up..
I may just do that. I am faced with winter coming fast and not enough hours in the day at the moment to get what i must do done, check back on this thread in a day or so I will have a question for you about canning after I take a picture.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:07 am

I was given this, told that someone used it for canning, dont know anything about it but it sure doesnt look like something from the pressure canning videos I have been watching. What is it used for??
thumbnail_Resized_20200809_184346_1922.jpg
thumbnail_Resized_20200809_184346_1922.jpg (483.2 KiB) Viewed 76 times
also I started buying up 1 liter jars and now I notice on the case the word "decorative" I can use these... right? or are these just ornamental?
canning jars.jpg
canning jars.jpg (171.83 KiB) Viewed 76 times

Learner
Canada

Post by Learner » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:35 pm

That looks like it was probably used for water bath canning and yes you can use those jars.

Return to “Food Storage”