Pressure canners

Discussions about Food Storage
farmgal
Canada

Re: Pressure canners

Post by farmgal » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi Peppercorn,

Nice snag on the double burner water bath canner.. awesome my grandmother used to have one. my one aunt has it.. its a big one and its used for water bath canning so anything you are doing that way this will work great as long as you are doing big batches of it.. if you are doing a small batch then the round single burner would better energy cost wise but if you are doing larger batches of pickled beets or plain tomato sauce or apple sauce etc then you can do 2.5 times the amount of jars in one go with it..

The jars you got are good and will last you many years the reason it says that is because they have a "pretty" pattern pressed into the side of the jars.. instead of being straight sided.. it does not effect their function at all.. its just "prettier" if you are gifting your home canning.. so if they are available and or on sale.. snag them .. no difference on them working well.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:12 am

farmgal wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:07 pm
Hi Peppercorn,

The jars you got are good and will last you many years the reason it says that is because they have a "pretty" pattern pressed into the side of the jars.. instead of being straight sided.. it does not effect their function at all.. its just "prettier" if you are gifting your home canning.. so if they are available and or on sale.. snag them .. no difference on them working well.
Ok, that makes sense. I couldnt figure out why some said "decorative" and not others. Water bath canning? something else I will have to learn about. Not now winter is coming, and I dont have enough hours in the day at the moment. Where did summer go?
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:08 pm

We do the bulk of our canning through hot water bath method. It’s simple and “fast”. Downside is throwing a ridiculous amount of moisture in the house. Not too bad in Alberta, unless it’s pouring rain outside.

Learner
Canada

Post by Learner » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:50 pm

Water bath canning is mainly used for pickles, jams, jellies and tomatoes in most forms. Pressure canning is for veggies, soups, etc. For info on the canning, a good book is Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving. It has everything in there. It is $27.26 on amazon.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:20 am

Learner wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:50 pm
Water bath canning is mainly used for pickles, jams, jellies and tomatoes in most forms. Pressure canning is for veggies, soups, etc. For info on the canning, a good book is Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving. It has everything in there. It is $27.26 on amazon.
I will have that book here by fall.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:04 am

peppercorn wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:20 am
Learner wrote:
I use the USDA Guide to Home Canning. Downloaded for free and printed it out then put it in a binder.
https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publ ... _usda.html

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:50 am

Denob wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:04 am
peppercorn wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:20 am
Learner wrote:
I use the USDA Guide to Home Canning. Downloaded for free and printed it out then put it in a binder.
https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publ ... _usda.html
I will read up on this over the winter.

Return to “Food Storage”