Above ground “root cellar “

Discussions about Food Storage
Clarence
Canada

Above ground “root cellar “

Post by Clarence » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:43 pm

Help! Anyone have a plan... for building an above ground “root cellar”? I could build a conventional one but I have a cedar log building (my old sugar shack) and was thinking of building an above ground unit in there. An Independent 8X8 .. stick fram structure of seven feet high.Placed inside the log structure. Dirt floor that’s dry.

Thinking of plywood Interior, vapor barrier and maybe six inches of rigid blue styrofoam board insulation And then covered again with 1/2 plywood to help keep critters out.

I would use chicken mesh buried maybe six inches on the floor and up the base of the outer walls as well. Insulated wood door.

This to store potatoes, carrots, apples.... and of course mason jars brimming with what I hope is a good crop of beets.

Sugar shack is surrounded by trees so is pretty shaded but does get sun in the winter, has the roof opening to vent steam out from old but no longer existing boiler but can say I have ever seen any snow or rain ever get in. Tin roof.

So any personal experience or links would be graciously accepted

peppercorn

Re: Above ground “root cellar “

Post by peppercorn » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:33 am

I got nothing for you on above ground, though I am going to be moving four garbage cans full of long term storage to a below ground location soon. I may post a picture of it.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:07 pm

Thanks piper corn, how deep are you burying the cans and are you sealing the lids for ants or other small bugs?

So does anyone have any experience with these above ground cellars in canada? Grazi

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:13 pm

Ok, So I know a prepper that made something likes this to a point, but while I saw it and walked in it, I do not have any info on how it turned out as they sold and got a new place before any data could come in.. Its the only one I have seen like you are talking about.
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks farmgal. Will keep chugging along in the search. Was 29 yesterday and it was pretty cool in my cedar log sugar shack. Just hate to go to all the effort and it not do the job

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:58 pm

Clarence, google the deep roots hub its local, and the one gentleman who helped put together it together is without a doubt someone I would consider a local expert on above ground root cellars.

http://www.deeprootsfoodhub.ca/

I meet him a number of years ago at one of my classes I was teaching.. and while I would normally say, see if you could have a coffee and such perhaps you can track him down and have a good phone chat and send photos an such.

Good luck! FG

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Sorry I didn't think of it earlier but I was thinking smaller scale but when you said research, my head went.. huh I know where to get to maybe chat with a gentleman that spent years researching just this.. it just didn't clink because the hub is on such a massive scale compared to what you are talking about.. and they built from scratch but still research wise.. its a valued source of information for sure!

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:19 pm

Thank you FG! I will reach out and try an validate my idea. Looking at their design, I can see some similarities or ways to make mine work. If I proceed with project, I will let the board know. Cheers and thanks again👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🍷

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:26 am

Clarence wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:07 pm
Thanks piper corn, how deep are you burying the cans and are you sealing the lids for ants or other small bugs?

So does anyone have any experience with these above ground cellars in canada? Grazi
No, not being buried, placed below ground into a below grade cement room (small)6 feet deep 8 feet long 3 or4 feet wide. Was built for another purpose but now will be for food storage.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:09 pm

peppercorn wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:26 am

No, not being buried, placed below ground into a below grade cement room (small)6 feet deep 8 feet long 3 or4 feet wide. Was built for another purpose but now will be for food storage.
Uh... creepy? Lol

Return to “Food Storage”