Dandelion -Reicpes

Discussions of Hunting and Gathering
farmgal
Canada

Dandelion -Reicpes

Post by farmgal » Wed May 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Now I am sure that most folks on the list, know that they can eat the Dandelion greens, if they are small and very new, they can be used as is, but if older or its gotten to the heat of summer, please consider blanching them out once or twice for bitterness.. if you are going to dry them, blanch first, then dry, or you will find they are bitter as dried greens.

Most folks know that you can use the Dandelion root is often dried, and then used to make a form of coffee, and I often see folks talk about making Dandelion wine.. but what I don't often see if folks talk about what I call my "Farmgal Dandelion Honey" of course this is not a real honey.. but its very easy to make, and in winter time its a lovely to open and add a teaspoon of fresh spring to your winter cup of dried tea..

Do you like spring honey? Love the taste of it when it comes from these bright yellow flowers? Can't find any locally? Make your own homemade version of it.. Made a simple sugar syrup, one to one, and then pick your flowers, (remove all the green bits) and I try for at least two cups washed flower bits for each one cup of simple syrup mix, and then simmer your water/sugar till disolved and then add the flowers and simmer for another 5 min, let sit for another ten, then strain, bring back just to a full boil and then pour into your hot jars and seal, I hot water bath for another 10 min and while I am sure it would keep for year, I always use mine before that.. Its a delight in winter to add to dried tea's by the scant teaspoon for a burst of flavour, it is also awesome as a rich meat glaze on something like lamb. Do consider making one cup of this, it turns out like a golden syrup that is very close in flavour to a true light spring honey.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ICRCC

Re: Dandelion -Reicpes

Post by ICRCC » Wed May 30, 2012 5:00 pm

Love the sound of the dandelion honey. We have an abundance of them here. Can't wait to try it out for myself. Thanks for the recipe.

JTHTTK

Post by JTHTTK » Wed May 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks for that honey recipe, sounds great. Gonna have to gather some flowers now.
I keep dandelions growing in semi-shade, protected from afternoon sun to keep them less bitter. I generally have to blanch the mature leaves once and then usually like to add oil or grease of some kind in cooking them. I almost always add a little Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar to whatever recipe I'm cooking greens.
My favorite is Dandelion Scrambled Eggs.
Pick you a small mess of dandelion leaves, blanch by putting them in a heat proof bowl and pouring boiling water over them and letting them sit for about 10 minutes. Drain those babies good, chop them up and throw them in a pan with a little hot bacon grease and a jigger of Bragg's apple cider vinegar and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring. Whip up 3 or 4 eggs with a dash of milk, some sea salt and pepper and pour over dandelions. Stir until done like you like your scrambled eggs and serve with a big ol' glass of milk. Yum, Yum!

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Wed May 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Like the idea of the Scrambled eggs, had not thought to do that, I do put the flowers into pancakes, which is my healthier version of deep fried flowers, they turn out very good..
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Salix

Post by Salix » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:19 am

Dandelions do very well indoors, as well. If you have an established plant with a good root, you can keep it inside all winter long. If you keep it in a semi-dark area, it will keep putting up fresh leaves, slightly white, which add tasty fresh greens all winter. They are probably the benchmark for 'hardy' plants! You can vary how green or white they get by varying the amount of light they get, just like white vs green asparagus.

DogLover

Post by DogLover » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Cool idea, I'd never have tought of that. We grow various veggies indoors during the winter months and I know that dandelions are extremely nutrious but transplanting a few for use in the winter had never crossed my mind. Must been having a Homer Moment (Doh!).
The difference between a man and a warrior is simple, a warrior will stand between harm and all others.

ICRCC

Post by ICRCC » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:20 am

Salix wrote:Dandelions do very well indoors, as well. If you have an established plant with a good root, you can keep it inside all winter long. If you keep it in a semi-dark area, it will keep putting up fresh leaves, slightly white, which add tasty fresh greens all winter. They are probably the benchmark for 'hardy' plants! You can vary how green or white they get by varying the amount of light they get, just like white vs green asparagus.
My daughters rabbits thank you. This is a great idea.

vaniya

Post by vaniya » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:30 am

very informative post ,thanks for sharing
vaniya

Return to “Hunting & Gathering”