Chickens

Discussions about how to grow your own food or raising livestock.
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Chickens

Post by Denob » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:06 pm

OK you chicken lovers...here's my question...
I have an opportunity to buy 2month old laying hens (race not advertised, but they are brown) at $7.00 each.
This sounds like a fair price, but wanted to check with someone who has more experience.
Also, at 2 months, will they be grown enough to survive outside (in a coop) when the cold temperatures get here.
Keep in mind that nights are already getting down to between 2 and 10 deg. C here.
Any input is welcome.
Thanks

farmgal
Canada

Re: Chickens

Post by farmgal » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Its a great price, you would paid double that in the spring easy as folks are not wanting to overwinter given the higher feed costs this year, your girls are old enough if the coop is done properly for them to make the winter, but they won't really start laying till late winter/early spring, unless you can connect either power/lights/timers in the coop or set up extra solar lighting, so you will be feeding them for a good number of months on grower rations before you will see any return on them in the form of eggs or meat etc

If you go for it, congrats.
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Mooswa
Canada

Post by Mooswa » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Yes that is not a bad price at all. We usually buy ready to lay birds and pay $10 each. I built a heated coop for them and have lights on a timer so keep them laying all winter. It isn't expensive, the house is well insulated and a little ceramic keeps it at about 8C for pennies a day.

Enjoy......... just not a farm with out some chickens. :)
Let no good deed go unpunished.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:07 am

Cool, thanks all...
now I just have to convince the wife that I need to hold off work in the extension and build a coop right away!
HEHEHE....wish me luck!

Speaking of coop...
I have left over materials enough to insulate and drywall the inside of a small coop. Should I bother or is this not advised for some reason?

Mooswa
Canada

Post by Mooswa » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:47 am

Insulating the coop is a good idea for the long haul, but gyproc is not usually a great thing with livestock. I'd recommend sheeting in with OSB or plywood, it will last longer.
Let no good deed go unpunished.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:05 pm

So I just got off the phone with the city regarding keeping a few hens. Technically, being a smaller property (about 12 - 15k sq.ft) and close to a lake, I would not be allowed to keep animals. With a little convincing (come on, it's just a few chickens, no big deal) we decided that if I were to hypothetically get a few hens and if there were no hypothetical complaints from neighbors, then I would hypothetically not be bothered! The rooster is a definite no no however! Looks like I may have to hypothetically bring the permit guy some hypothetical fresh eggs!

oldschool
Canada

Post by oldschool » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Denob wrote:So I just got off the phone with the city regarding keeping a few hens. Technically, being a smaller property (about 12 - 15k sq.ft) and close to a lake, I would not be allowed to keep animals. With a little convincing (come on, it's just a few chickens, no big deal) we decided that if I were to hypothetically get a few hens and if there were no hypothetical complaints from neighbors, then I would hypothetically not be bothered! The rooster is a definite no no however! Looks like I may have to hypothetically bring the permit guy some hypothetical fresh eggs!
I think its your neighbors that you should be bringing the eggs too :lol:

anitapreciouspearl

Post by anitapreciouspearl » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:24 pm

I hope it all works out for you! Your kids are gonna love the chickies! I second the no drywall approach. The coops in magazines look so nice because there's never been a chicken living in it yet. Reality of the game is poop splattered everything. (TMI maybe - sorry!) and you need to be able to clean it.
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi Denob,

Given that information, I would personally be very leary, have you talked to the folks in your neck of the woods on what they think about you having chickens, if all it takes is one person to complain, you might be spending a great deal of time and effort on that coop, only to find that its not going to be used for long. I got caught with this once, the gentleman I talked to was fine with what I was doing, but a year later, a new person had that job and he cracked down on dozens of us, so remember that who you spoke to today, could be gone tomorrow from that job postion.

My mom had a pet hen in town and it was legal, and despite that it was a banty hen, and that she was very quiet and in a very high six foot fenced yard with her own hutch and run area in the garden for when not out and about, my mom got "turned in" about a dozen times, and even had to explain the law at least twice to new bylaw officers, who were stunned to learn that on the books in her town, you can have 3 laying hens, or breeding rabbits or a single milk goat, and that you are still allowed to ride and hitch a horse in the downtown sqaure etc.

While I know that all could work out well, I felt that I needed to talk about the other side of that possabitly.. Respectfully FG
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Ya, although I found a really good deal on hens (32 weeks for $8.00) we will be putting this on hold until spring at least. This way, it is gone from the city's mind that I had asked, and also, we will need to find an optimal space. I could keep them inside a hen house at all times to help reduce noise, but don't really want to do that. If this plan goes ahead, it will take lots of careful consideration. I did notice that according to what I was told by the city, the 2 local sellers I found are also not supposed to have them. Seems like it's what they don't know won't hurt them kind of situation.

Return to “Livestock, Farming and Gardening”