Gardening 2018-whats with the weather???

Discussions about how to grow your own food or raising livestock.
helicopilot
Canada

Re: Gardening 2018-whats with the weather???

Post by helicopilot » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:27 am

peppercorn wrote:I would be interested in hearing from others who have rain gauges up what their rain fall was like in Alberta. Actually I suspect not many people have rain gauges.
Only tracking as far back as May, but my electronic rain gauge says 3.84" so far. There's been a bit of mist lately, but nothing really measurable. Lots of much has been helping with moisture retention, but that isn't cheap either! After trying for months to get arborists to drop their chips/mulch at my house (I even offered to pay a "delivery fee"), no one seem interested to come deliver in the county. So I caved in and got a dump load of mulch for something like $800!!

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:30 am

Back to the original question... What is Up with the Weather????

We had a heat wave for about a week and a bit just recently and found out that we had a surprise frost Friday night!!??!!?? The forecast was for an overnight low of 6C so didn't take any measures. The next morning, I was chatting with my neighbour and she told me she saw a light frost on her windshield early in the AM. Things looked ok at first in the garden, but now it's clear that all my squashes have been badly hit and about half of my peas and beans. So far the rest looks "ok". 25 August frost!?

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:41 pm

helicopilot wrote:Back to the original question... What is Up with the Weather????

We had a heat wave for about a week and a bit just recently and found out that we had a surprise frost Friday night!!??!!?? The forecast was for an overnight low of 6C so didn't take any measures. The next morning, I was chatting with my neighbour and she told me she saw a light frost on her windshield early in the AM. Things looked ok at first in the garden, but now it's clear that all my squashes have been badly hit and about half of my peas and beans. So far the rest looks "ok". 25 August frost!?

Got up at 530 this AM and its 3 degrees, was as low as 3 degrees a couple weeks back. I dont remember overnight lows as extream but I also dont remember the smoke from BC reducing the sunlight as bad or for as long.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:07 pm

So here on the farm Zone 5a in Ottawa valley area we still have warm days, total its a high of 31 but we are starting to dip down into the mid-teens for the nights, this is shifting the gardens and plants nicely.. some of the plants are putting on the push and others are responding nicely to the cooling nights and are just starting their fall blooms for later fall harvesting.

We are pulling finished plants and are still fall planting out seeds and such. Its late to be doing fall planting, I will see what we get, some thing should have been done three weeks ago but in the heat and droughts it would have just baked the seeds, so the question is what we will get for yield with this two or three week behind planting.

I have been getting fairly steady rain at least once or twice a week and even my pastures are now growing again.. my paddock that is my fall flush paddock for the sheep is looking great, I let them in for a day and its up to their shoulders. For those that don't do sheep, you want to increase their calories by ten to 20 percent a few weeks before and during breeding season, by flushing them in this way, you greatly increase the odds of them setting twin at breeding time.

IF and its a big IF we get the fall I expect, we will have our first hard frost in mid to late Sept and then we will have a long productive fall for the cool crops until Nov..but I have been known to be wrong. My crop of Litchi tomato's which can take those fall frosts and keep trucking are full grown and in full bloom.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-fo ... az09djzraw
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Learner
Canada

Post by Learner » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:17 pm

This past Saturday morning was 2 degrees with a fog and heavy smoke. Very moist outside early that morning and a little concerning, although everything looks to be okay here. In a few areas, there was a light touch of frost on different things from what I heard from family and others that I talked to at a local farmers market that morning. Then on Sunday evening we finally got a good rain, 1 1/4" worth according to the rain gauge, kinda nice not to have to go out and water first thing in the morning for a change. This was the first significant amount of rain at one time that we have had all summer.

Very cool here today, only as high as 12. Quite a change from the heat that we had.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:46 am

helicopilot wrote:
peppercorn wrote:I would be interested in hearing from others who have rain gauges up what their rain fall was like in Alberta. Actually I suspect not many people have rain gauges.
Only tracking as far back as May, but my electronic rain gauge says 3.84" so far. There's been a bit of mist lately,
3.8 inches? thats bad, I spill that much mixing drinks.

Never heard of a electronic rain gauge. I will have to google it.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:58 am

Dakota wrote: The wonderful thing our group achieved this year is; we could finally purchase a deep simple hand pump. What a wonderful pump!!! If you have a shallow well it will cost significantly less. Unfortunately our well is 300ft deep-so we had to save a bit :? . It was a huge concern for a while for me that we be able to have hand pumped water on site. Big relief!!! I will include a photo of it soon.
Yes please , pictures and model type! my well is 280? feet down I would like a 120 volt electric well pump, as I dont want to switch to a 240 volt split phase inverter. A hand pump would be a option I would consider if I cant find a 120 volt one I like.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:06 am

peppercorn wrote:
helicopilot wrote:
Only tracking as far back as May, but my electronic rain gauge says 3.84" so far. There's been a bit of mist lately,
3.8 inches? thats bad, I spill that much mixing drinks.

Never heard of a electronic rain gauge. I will have to google it.
It’s a home weather station: wind speed and direction, temperature, humidity, pressure and rainfall. Then sent to a display I keep in the house.

Dakota
Canada

Post by Dakota » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:47 am

peppercorn the model is the SIMPLE PUMP. Picked it up from a fella east of Reddeer.
Picts will have to wait but I will put one on here.

Return to “Livestock, Farming and Gardening”