Garden like it counts 2021

Discussions about how to grow your own food or raising livestock.
helicopilot
Canada

Re: Garden like it counts 2021

Post by helicopilot »

Was at the local Peavey Mart (TSC out east). Their gardening area looked pilfered but I was told by an employee that they’ve just recently started putting things up but “that it’s flying off the shelves”. When asked about potatoes though, I was told they hadn’t arrived yet. So I guess I’ll just have to do my rounds

scrounger
Canada

Post by scrounger »

Peavey Mart has started rebranding their TSC stores in Ont. Either name, still a fun store to shop at.
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

helicopilot wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:55 am Was at the local Peavey Mart (TSC out east). Their gardening area looked pilfered but I was told by an employee that they’ve just recently started putting things up but “that it’s flying off the shelves”. When asked about potatoes though, I was told they hadn’t arrived yet. So I guess I’ll just have to do my rounds
Push come shove the answer is at your BIG fancy local grocery store.. go buy organic potato, sprout them and plant them.. that's the last resort.. but it does work.. they have to list the kinds of potato's and as long as they are grown local, you know they are at least somewhat locally zoned.

Second way to do it, google for local potato farms, anything in alberta will do, or sask in the same zone.. buy a 5 pound bag of them, cool dark and let them sprout out and plant them out..

otherwise, yes, just keep checking your local Canadian Tire and Peevey mart website everyone morning when you do your news rounds and watch that "available" in store.. and then get in and get your shopping done..

Hope that helps!
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Thank you FarmGal!
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

helicopilot wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:55 am Was at the local Peavey Mart (TSC out east). Their gardening area looked pilfered but I was told by an employee that they’ve just recently started putting things up but “that it’s flying off the shelves”. When asked about potatoes though, I was told they hadn’t arrived yet. So I guess I’ll just have to do my rounds
I would offer you some of mine but I am anti social until this covid is over, though I do have some 3 or 4 varieties of potato seeds, and I could send you a few (a few of some, more of another , through the mail if you wanted.

Peavy mart gets them when the danger of freezing is over. They do have a good selection.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

peppercorn wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:57 am
I would offer you some of mine but I am anti social until this covid is over, though I do have some 3 or 4 varieties of potato seeds, and I could send you a few (a few of some, more of another , through the mail if you wanted.

Peavy mart gets them when the danger of freezing is over. They do have a good selection.
Thanks Peppercorn. I now drive in front of a Peavey daily as part of a new jobs, so I’ll check regularly. If I’m really stuck comes planting season, I’ll let you know and we can see if we can work something out.
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob »

Finally got some seeds into dirt.
Broccoli, Cauliflower, Tomatoes, Peppers, and Celery.
Also, we're going 100% climbing beans this year to save some space.
Learner
Canada

Post by Learner »

Was at our local Walmart yesterday and noticed that they had seed potatoes put out.
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Learner wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:33 pm Was at our local Walmart yesterday and noticed that they had seed potatoes put out.
Same here, and I’ve picked up a couple of bags. And now, I’m ready to garden this year!
Learner
Canada

Post by Learner »

Gardens are all planted and coming up nicely. Had some hail a week ago, but quite fortunately didn't seem to damage too much that we can tell so far. Will see when the tree fruit is getting bigger if it hurt them much.

Return to “Livestock, Farming and Gardening”