Garden like it counts 2021

Discussions about how to grow your own food or raising livestock.
scrounger
Canada

Re: Garden like it counts 2021

Post by scrounger »

Hi Learner,
Too lazy to search your posts. What did you plant for fruit trees/plants?
Thanks

I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster
Learner
Canada

Post by Learner »

Fruit trees: apple, crabapple, plum, cherry, apricot. Also have raspberries, strawberries, honeyberries, black currant, red currant and grapes. Just planted some elderberry this year too. Am harvesting rhubarb now. Usual garden stuff, potatoes, carrots, onions, peas, beans, parsnips, tomato, peppers, beans, beets, leeks, chard, spinach, cucumbers and zucchini and various other herbs. Am trying some cantaloupe again this year as well as a few cabbage.
We also water with a pump from the creek that goes by at the bottom of the yard and also have a number of rain barrels set around the house too.
RachelM
Canada

Post by RachelM »

I've finally pulled the first produce in the past two weeks: My first good harvest of black currants, large green beans and peas, kale, my beets are about ready to be pulled also. Garlic is starting to dry up. I tried a 3 Sisters garden this year and it is exploding! The garden is a hot mess because my mower broke and there's been massive shipping delays in the part I need (I broke the first replacement and had to reorder it plus another!) so there's 6-7 foot tall grass around except where I have been stomping it down.
I've never had success with corn but this year I both fertilized the heck out of the soil and then did a 3 sisters planting. I've resisted artificial fertilizers for a long time but finally did a soil test and found that our clay is practically devoid of many nutrients (probably why a lot of the more needy veg have struggled when I was only doing manure from the horses as fertilizer). The land was previously pasture and often grazed down to the nubs, so probably overgrazed and under-fertilized.
scrounger
Canada

Post by scrounger »

Buy a scythe.
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster

Return to “Livestock, Farming and Gardening”