Great Water Solution for Well

Discussions about procuring and purifying water
tazweiss
Canada

Re: Great Water Solution for Well

Post by tazweiss » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:18 pm

My solution is a cistern.
Right now, I use a generator to run my well and fill my 500 gallon cistern. The cistern is right beside the wellhead, on a hill and is a few meters higher than the roof of my cabin. There is a 3 inch water line about 300 feet long that reduces to 3/4 inch into the cabin. My plan is to eventually install a deep well solar pump tied to a float switch and have a hand pump back-up. I haven't gotten there yet, but it's in my future plans.

Those who are unwilling to defend freedom, will become unfree.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:51 am

tazweiss wrote:My solution is a cistern.
Right now, I use a generator to run my well and fill my 500 gallon cistern. The cistern is right beside the wellhead, on a hill and is a few meters higher than the roof of my cabin. There is a 3 inch water line about 300 feet long that reduces to 3/4 inch into the cabin. My plan is to eventually install a deep well solar pump tied to a float switch and have a hand pump back-up. I haven't gotten there yet, but it's in my future plans.
Assuming everything isn’t well below frost level, what do you do for freezing? Sounds like a real nice setup with good pressure

tazweiss
Canada

Post by tazweiss » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:46 am

Actually, the cistern and waterline are 8 ft. deep. I haven't yet had a problem with freezing. That's not to say it can't happen. It just hasn't happened yet.

Wayne
Canada

Post by Wayne » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:31 am

Sounds like a good plan. It surprizes me that the majority of people that are using a well don't have a back-up plan to get water when the power goes out...
None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

tazweiss
Canada

Post by tazweiss » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:44 am

Wayne wrote:Sounds like a good plan. It surprizes me that the majority of people that are using a well don't have a back-up plan to get water when the power goes out...
With water being fairly high up the list on the rule of 3's, I thought it would be in my best interests to have a couple of back-up plans.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:44 pm

tazweiss wrote:Actually, the cistern and waterline are 8 ft. deep. I haven't yet had a problem with freezing. That's not to say it can't happen. It just hasn't happened yet.
Thanks. Sounds like an awesome setup.

tazweiss
Canada

Post by tazweiss » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Even though my waterline is 8 feet deep, it still has to come up through the frostline, into the house. At the bottom end of the waterline is where I reduced it from 3 inches to three quarter inch. The three quarter inch line comes up through a 3 inch standpipe. This way, if the line does freeze, I can slide a heat tape down there or use my wife's old blow dryer to circulate warm air down along the line. At least, that's the theory.

Return to “Water sources, storage and purification”