Mobile Communication

(Radio's), (GPS), (Faraday Cages), (Other Technology)
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: Mobile Communication

Post by Denob » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:17 am

Walrus wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:25 am
don't forget about murs a better choice for personal communications than the busy gmrs in my humble opinion
There are no frequencies for MURS in Canada and no plans for it either.
Some of the frequencies used for MURS in the US are reserved for other things here, such as law enforcement and other emergency services.
DO NOT use those frequencies.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:22 am

helicopilot wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:53 am
Anyway, on this, who can help me with my Baofengs?
What's up with the Baofengs? I can probably help.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:33 am

Mobile phone security.
Once had a client call me in a panic saying that a very sensitive business meeting with unions involved was on his home answering machine when he got home. He naturally figured the union had bugged the room and was taunting him with it. First thing I asked was are you calling me from your work cell, “yes”. That was mistake #1, for one never calls about a potential “bug” in an office.... from any office or Known cell Number.

Before I started ramping up options, something told me to ask him to look at his cell phone log. Yep, you guessed it, he pocket dialed his own home and it was him that “leaked” the convo!

It’s standard operating procedure for some to never allow cellphones,
laptops, ipads... into any confidential meeting space and that is what anyone should do if you want to avoid an accidental pocket dial situation.

Just leave ALL phones outside of the meeting and you go a long way in avoiding embarrassing or damaging situations.

As mentioned below by myself and Heli, know your plans for communication in advance and adhere to them religiously. One may be frustrated and start babbling but others in the group need to shut that person down fast and not continue.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:57 am

Denob wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:22 am
helicopilot wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:53 am
Anyway, on this, who can help me with my Baofengs?
What's up with the Baofengs? I can probably help.
Need setting them up with common freqs. Right now, they all have different presets. I have cables and a “CD-ROM” (no idea how I’m supposed to make that work with Apple products... in 2020). Would like to set them up with a couple frequencies.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:14 am

Download CHIRP, it has a MAC OS version. As for setting up the cable on Apple, I have no idea.
You can use the CD as a coaster.

Return to “Communication & Tech”