New Executive Order on EMP

(Radio's), (GPS), (Faraday Cages), (Other Technology)
HopeImReady
Canada

New Executive Order on EMP

Post by HopeImReady » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:27 pm

What do you guys think of Trump's new Executive Order on EMP?
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential ... ic-pulses/

Seems long overdue. To be honest, I am a little mystified that he has created an EO on something so obvious and logical, but then hey, first time for everything :) It will be interesting to see if the deadlines on hardening & working with the private sector will come to anything concrete, but it's a step in the right direction.

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Clarence
Canada

Re: New Executive Order on EMP

Post by Clarence » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:10 pm

Good for them and a smart initiative. While they work on that, I am guessing they will touch on cyber aspects as well, be it directly or indirectly. Sure would be nice if we took this seriously up here. Cyber side is my greatest concern and then followed by physical attack.
A lot of people would be in a world of hurt if some places were attacked. One just need look at impact from a piddly and very, very localized tornado here in ottawa last year. No parts... imagine five substations being simultaneously targeted by terrorists. Lights out baby and not just for a few days.

Our readiness or assurance all will be well is like a kid whistling past the graveyard

HopeImReady
Canada

Post by HopeImReady » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:18 pm

I would guess that it does not include cyber attacks, except maybe as combined with an EMP (for greater effect). The US is actually probably further ahead on protecting against cyber threats (via NSA and US Cyber Command) compared to threats from EMP, esp if you're taking civilian critical infrastructure and private-sector energy...
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:59 am

HopeImReady wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:18 pm
I would guess that it does not include cyber attacks, except maybe as combined with an EMP (for greater effect). The US is actually probably further ahead on protecting against cyber threats (via NSA and US Cyber Command) compared to threats from EMP, esp if you're taking civilian critical infrastructure and private-sector energy...
Based on what I have witnessed, going to guess the US is far better prepared. That said, the size of their systems and shear volume of people and the population density is far larger then us. When any system is beefed up, there are side upgrades done as well. Sometimes as a necessity and others as an opportunity.

Hope they harden the systems ASAP

DougM
Canada

Post by DougM » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:34 pm

EMP weapons are "hell" on cyber systems and power grids. Other then a few hardened military systems it is unlikely any would survive today. There are too many unstable nations with the ability to launch this kind of attack and a World that is unprepared to defend against it. Well done U.S.

Return to “Communication & Tech”