solar panel array

Discussions of Alternative and Renewable Energy
helicopilot
Canada

Re: solar panel array

Post by helicopilot » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:36 pm

Well, if I’m around and not on a job, you can count me in. If not to build myself one, to learn about the build at the least.

Dakota
Canada

Post by Dakota » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:24 pm

Long time since I was on! sorry I've been off grid for while.... Property was devastated by hail and we've been rebuilding and dealing with insurance for the things that are covered. I would love to see your set up as I want to set something up here as well-larger. My panels survived on the barn due to their angle at the time of the storm but I only use those for light and the chicken door.

scrounger
Canada

Post by scrounger » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:48 pm

Hi Dakota,

Sorry to hear about the hail storm. Any lessons learned you can share? What went right/wrong. Things you would do differently.
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:20 pm

Per scrounger, the remedy to common occurrences is most welcome, another item is, given the fact we get hail, snow buildup, freezing rain....assuming one has some land and not just a small city or suburban lot, should one not put the panels on the ground? Easier to Perhaps rotate twice a year for optimal angles, clean off dirt and all the white stuff we get in Canada, maintain any connections and protect on temp basis from hail....?

Also, In an emergency situation or simple ageing... it’s even more important that maintenance be easier to do, less risk of falling, or any other stress and work due to panels being up on a roof. Even repairs to a roof will be cheaper and easier to effect.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:05 am

Dakota wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:24 pm
Long time since I was on! sorry I've been off grid for while.... Property was devastated by hail and we've been rebuilding and dealing with insurance for the things that are covered. I would love to see your set up as I want to set something up here as well-larger. My panels survived on the barn due to their angle at the time of the storm but I only use those for light and the chicken door.
Got a email to check the board as someone was looking for me...I see I got a message waiting in my pm emails and this post from you Dakota, your welcome to come up, I will give you a pm with contact info.

As for Clarence , you hit the nail on the head, if your "off grid" don't put the damn things on the roof, where you see them on the roof that is 95% of the time a grid tie set up, where it doesnt matter if it takes a week or two for the snow to melt off. You do not want to be climbing a ladder at -25 trying to clear your panels of snow, sometimes day after day, yes you can get the old lady to do it for a few years, but even she will tell you to go pound it after a while.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Dakota
Canada

Post by Dakota » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:23 pm

Hey all, Nothing to give for advise!
Very bad storm year 2019. Lost a well pump to a lightning strike a few weeks before we had all roofs damaged. Horse shelter battered. I ended up claiming for both the lightning and the hail, at which time they no longer wanted to provide me with insurance(lol). It turned out ok as our new insurer is slightly cheaper than what we were paying. Oh and my solar panels that were placed on a roof were small ones on the small chicken/goat duplex barn we made of an old shed. They are easily reachable. Those panels are my barn lighting and open and close my chicken coop door when im working and cant keep them safe at night.(SHIFT WORKER!) The chickens learn quickly when the door shuts!! The door has a 'oh shite' OPTION....it opens one last time for about 30 seconds before finally shutting.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:18 pm

Don’t have chickens but your oh snap alarm is hilarious and glad you are making it work, sorry to hear about damages but at least it’s covered!

Return to “Alternative Energy”