Ballistic vest as part of your prep

Discussions about Security and Defense
Bigred613

Ballistic vest as part of your prep

Post by Bigred613 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Im curious if any of you have considered buying a ballistic vest to have as part of your kit for a wlfo or SHTF situation. The local gun shop is selling surplus vests at a great price. Most vest expire after 5-10 years depending on the manufacture but I have witnessed test done on vest up to twenty years old and they still maintained their ballistic properties. Depending on what situation arises they could be very beneficial.

http://www.theammosource.com/index.php? ... c7a23bb5b9

bcprepper1
Canada

Re: Ballistic vest as part of your prep

Post by bcprepper1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:23 am

It is illegal to own bullet proof vests or garments in canada unless you are properly licensed,for jobs such as police, armoured guards ect.
I ran into this in my searches for prepping equipment.
Check out govt of canada regulations for bullet proof vests.
May not include the actual plates that give it the stopping action for projectiles.
Novelty or not i would be careful dealing with the lawfullness of these products.

JustABear

Post by JustABear » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:00 am

I have to disagree with you bcprepper. Here is info from Wikipedia..."In all Canadian provinces except for British Columbia, Manitoba and Alberta[67], it is legal to wear and to purchase body armor such as ballistic vests. Nova Scotia has passed the legislation but is not yet in force[68].Under British Columbia's Body Armour Control Act,[69] it is illegal to possess body armour without a licence (unless exempted) issued by the provincial government.

In BC if you have security guards license it is still only legal to possess body armor as an adjunct to your employment... not by virtue of having the licence.

Gravlore

Post by Gravlore » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:28 am

Buy it and hide it until things go down. No need to pull it out before SHTF.

bcprepper1
Canada

Post by bcprepper1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:27 pm

You are right it may be legal in some provinces for now,but there have been rumblings and personal members bills trying to change that.
Did not know however that the kevlar broke down over time making its protection when needed questionable.

Gravlore

Post by Gravlore » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:15 pm

I would keep Kevlar in a dry place. I know working with many composite materials that once moisture comes and goes from the dry material it that it becomes weaker over time. If the Kevlar is inside of a vest that has a waterproof coating there is no reason why it shouldn't last a lifetime. Things degrade over time but the conditions must be right for any given material to do so rapidly. Extruded polystyrene foam will last a long time as a packing material but degrade instantly in the presence of Acetone.

Mooswa
Canada

Post by Mooswa » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:18 am

Yes the trend of introducing legislation that prohibits people from owning ballistic vest is more knee jerk, feel good BS. I think you will see other provinces follow the lead over the next couple of years.

I believe it is still legal to own in most states as long as the buyer does not have any felony convictions.

Having worn them in the past, they can be quite hot to wear at times. I guess it depends on the individual as to whether they think it would be a good thing to have in the particular situation they will find themselves in. Odds are you are not going to be wearing something that will protect you from someone armed with a rifle shooting larger centerfire cartridges........... but they will give you some peace of mind with most handguns and knives........... assuming of course you get hit in the area covered by the vest.
Let no good deed go unpunished.

Entropy
Canada

Post by Entropy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:29 am

bcprepper1 wrote:It is illegal to own bullet proof vests or garments in canada unless you are properly licensed,for jobs such as police, armoured guards ect.
I ran into this in my searches for prepping equipment.
Check out govt of canada regulations for bullet proof vests.
May not include the actual plates that give it the stopping action for projectiles.
Novelty or not i would be careful dealing with the lawfullness of these products.
i believe it's only illegal to own them in alberta and maybe BC, the alberta law just passed a short while ago. in Ontario there is no such law that i can find. saying that, if you are wearing one, you are "likely" up to no good and you might find yourself in trouble with the law whether or not there is a law against it. (just like owning and carrying a baton. . . it's not illegal unless it's a weapon)
adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

ICRCC

Post by ICRCC » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:17 pm

You are correct Entropy it is not illegal in Ontario. Personally I think I would put more effort into not being shot at in the first place. I haven't needed one so far and I can't honestly say that I see that changing even if the SHTF.

Entropy
Canada

Post by Entropy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:22 pm

ICRCC wrote:You are correct Entropy it is not illegal in Ontario. Personally I think I would put more effort into not being shot at in the first place. I haven't needed one so far and I can't honestly say that I see that changing even if the SHTF.
i don't know my neighbours, (i'm the new kid here) i do know the one family is nice but there son is a thief. another is an OPP. one has chickens, and a few of them are older. ALL of them have dogs. . . at least three of them have children.

the people i worry about are those with kids. . . they are the ones that will be doing stupid things early on, and maybe out of the gate before them you'll see more druggy type crimes, (break and enters, theft etc) and those increases in crimes will likely push mr. good dad over the edge to do something desperate. (everyone else is doing it for bad reasons, he should be able to do it for at least more noble reasons)

in the documentary, "after Armageddon" one of the "professors" said that children as also seen to become very violent when hungry is concerned. now i haven't thtought about this much, maybe i should. if little jimmy's dad comes to take food in a violent manner i'd be defending against an adult. . . but how am i going to deal with little jimmy? (yeah i can over power him if he's coming at me with a stick. . .but what he little jimmy has daddy's shotgun? hmmmm never thought of that really :? , just hope they ask before they try to take. . .)

i was looking at this for another reason but it's fitting here lol

"In 2006, there were a total of 7,102,466 firearms registered in Canada. By 2010, this number had grown to 7,646,699, an increase of 544,233, or over 100,000 per year.

However, between 2006 and 2010, the number of licensed gun owners has dropped from 1,908,011 to 1,848,000. This represents a decrease of 60,011, or about 12,000 per year for five years.
As such, each registered gun owner in Canada had an average of 4.14 guns in 2010, up from 3.72 guns per registered owner in 2006."
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/23 ... ners-rcmp/

in my area, all the farms have firearms, and 100's of them refused to change from a FAL to a PAL, and many more refused to register their long guns (possible in the 1000's).

so, i still don't plan on getting shot at ;) but i'm sure there is a quote about making plans that applies here lol.

while my neighbours are of little concern to me, they surrounds farm lands are less of a threat, but could be if they wanted to be, and then i'm not sure how many city people would make it my way, they know the area north of me, and most would pass by for their cottage. if the got lost my way (last house, no winter access beyond my place, and no reason to drive this way in the summer) i have the tools to detect them long before they know where am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8j4GIRY ... re=related
not the scene i was looking for, but still on topic.
adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Return to “Security and Defense”