Ballistic vest as part of your prep

Discussions about Security and Defense
Chimo
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Ballistic vest as part of your prep

Post by Chimo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Then why didn't you say so?
Because I thought everyone knew that big turks were better..

Granted, I could have been more clear in my post. As for the rack, over layering.. I spent three weeks in PET as a test subject for the LBV variations when they were first being introduced.. I'm 6'5 and WAS a solid 260 (not so solid anymore), some of the trial gear was absolute *censored* I'm a potty mouth, but some was awsome..when we started I was a webbing guy, but by the end of it I was converted.

Chimo...
When All else fails--BIP--

Maple Leaf Pilgrim
Canada

Post by Maple Leaf Pilgrim » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:50 pm

thecrownsown wrote:Anyone ever bought from this company? I remember watching a program on them several years back. They are known for there clothing line which is bullet proof to small calibre firearms. The Owner personally wears the line, and takes shots to show its ability. Essentially looks like everyday wear from casual to business suits. Slight weight increase.

Pricey..but perhaps an option if weight/physical ability is a concern?

http://miguelcaballero.com/en/
These guys have been around for quite some time and have a decent reputation as far as I've heard. A few Principals I've worked with in CPD have used the business suits/covert vests. However there are several considerations for the prepper.

1). The clothing is fitted/tailored to you as a matter of necessity and if you plan on wearing it after SHTF you're going to have a suit that is less effective as you begin to lose weight and while it may be lighter and protect well against most pistol calibres, will not protect against rifle fire. As you lose weight the suit will also begin to misfit and if you're carrying anything it will begin to chafe. This might not seem like a big thing, but when you end up with open sores on skin that is covered in dirt, sweat, dust and whatever you've crawled through, the image becomes grim.

2). There is also the consideration that you will be wearing the same clothing day in and out for much longer periods of time as you need to have this protection closer to your body for it to work. Dirty clothes introduce new issues, such as hygiene considerations after more than a few weeks being worn. I know as I have had to CAS-EVAC men who had come down with skin infections on week four of an OP. This may not seem like a big thing until you consider that these suits are dry clean only. If you wash them, you damage the protective properties of the suits.

3). The actual armour vests and rigs seem thought out for basic operational purposes, but as with all things in the arena of violence there is no perfect solution, it is just the best training and then the best available gear. However the posted website does not seem to have any useful information in regards to weight, option ability or where to purchase this stuff posted in English and my Spanish sucks really, really bad. So it would be unfair of me to comment on it until I get good information.

-S.
"It's not what you have, but what you have done".

-S.

Maple Leaf Pilgrim
Canada

Post by Maple Leaf Pilgrim » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:59 pm

Chimo wrote:Then why didn't you say so?

Granted, I could have been more clear in my post. As for the rack, over layering.. I spent three weeks in PET as a test subject for the LBV variations when they were first being introduced.. I'm 6'5 and WAS a solid 260 (not so solid anymore), some of the trial gear was absolute *censored* I'm a potty mouth, but some was awsome..when we started I was a webbing guy, but by the end of it I was converted.
:)

Smart ass.

Webbing still has it's place in the battle space. It has evolved to include such kit as chest rigs for those who have different requirements. Travis Haley, a US Marine and Operator, has a line of chest rigs called D3 that can fit the rack on - kit up requirement of several units that need gear to go from low profile to high speed in less than ten seconds. He along with a few other outfits are on the leading edge of rack/web evolution in many regards. I'm actually thinking about picking up his D3 rig for evaluation on a Banshee PC once I get the mounting options sorted out. It'll prove handy for the covert carbine course and discrete warrant service/dangerous apprehension courses we're working on.

-S.

-S.

Chimo
Topic Leader
Canada

Post by Chimo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:41 pm

Ive been out for 7 yrs now, and honestly miss it every day.. would have loved to have been serving my 20 this year, but a little 3B got in the way.

That Haley stuff looks great.. I'm envious.. Unfortunately Ill have to stick with my macgyver rig..
Chimo...
When All else fails--BIP--

OttawaLoneWolf

Post by OttawaLoneWolf » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:08 pm

Maple Leaf Pilgrim wrote:
Chimo wrote:Then why didn't you say so?

:)

Smart ass.

Webbing still has it's place in the battle space. It has evolved to include such kit as chest rigs for those who have different requirements. Travis Haley, a US Marine and Operator, has a line of chest rigs called D3 that can fit the rack on - kit up requirement of several units that need gear to go from low profile to high speed in less than ten seconds. He along with a few other outfits are on the leading edge of rack/web evolution in many regards. I'm actually thinking about picking up his D3 rig for evaluation on a Banshee PC once I get the mounting options sorted out. It'll prove handy for the covert carbine course and discrete warrant service/dangerous apprehension courses we're working on.

-S.
Hi Maple Leaf pilgrim
you were in CPD ? would you know anyone from BC ?

Maple Leaf Pilgrim
Canada

Post by Maple Leaf Pilgrim » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:12 am

OttawaLoneWolf wrote:
Hi Maple Leaf pilgrim
you were in CPD ? would you know anyone from BC ?
I did attached VIP CPD in P&SS and on specific taskings as a contractor.

I know lots of people from BC, but most of the Operators I know are British, American, Israeli, German and South African (2REP & 4EC Legion Etranger). I did meet some JTF2 blokes in the KAF Timmy's line once...

-S.

-S.

personaguru

Post by personaguru » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:23 pm

i have some kavlar plates and some lv 3 rifle plates a cop came over onece and said to me there no problem in me owning armor all you need in most cases bis aq pal and ebay you only need mony but if you are going to perp BA is and important ting to look at guns wood come first imho

Jensen

Post by Jensen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:16 am

Yes its part of our Prepping. We have two Plate Carriers with the Molle system. I decided to go with the Lvl IIIa Armor Plates (Front, Back and two Side Plates for each) which will withstand up to 7.62mm bullets. To me lots of other things are more important to sort out before this prep. But it sure feels good (and heavy !) to have.

Maple Leaf Pilgrim
Canada

Post by Maple Leaf Pilgrim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Jensen wrote:Yes its part of our Prepping. We have two Plate Carriers with the Molle system. I decided to go with the Lvl IIIa Armor Plates (Front, Back and two Side Plates for each) which will withstand up to 7.62mm bullets. To me lots of other things are more important to sort out before this prep. But it sure feels good (and heavy !) to have.
IIIa is rated for pistol rounds, not rifle. The minimum rating for rifle plates is III.

-S.

-S.

Jensen

Post by Jensen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:46 am

According to the store and the Ballistic Tests to prove it its rated up to 7.62mm. I did research this before I purchased them... However I just checked the Invoice. You are right its Lvl III and NOT Lvl IIIa - more specifically its 1/4 Inch AR500 Steel Plates. My mistake for confusing the Lvl III and Lvl IIIa.

Return to “Security and Defense”