Driveway Alarm

Discussions about Security and Defense
farmgal
Canada

Re: Driveway Alarm

Post by farmgal »

ah, are you keeping that name :) cute pup..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

I don't know if I will keep it. I have not been north of the city of Edmonton in decades, after todays trip I never will again, the roads were like moon craters. I feel like sending Sturgeon County the bill for the front end alignment I will need.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

farmgal wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:59 pm ah, are you keeping that name :) cute pup..
I changed the name. I forgot what a handful a little, untrained puppy could be. I have never seen a dog dive for the food dish like this one does. The dogs at the shelter must have been fed from one bowl. I am going to have to teach him some manners. Day one and he has learned the sit command, and hand signal so he has potential.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

Yes, typically the litter is feed from the same big bowl.. they even sell puppy bowls, they have hole in the middle and a big ring and then the puppies all dive in but get their spot.. sounds like he made sure he got his share.. and for training.. a highly food drive can make things so easy..

He will be earning his kibble lol They are a handful.. that is one of the reason's I love having a middle aged dog to help train them.. (well if they are well trained themselves of course)
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

It looks like I have a winner, this dog is a natural for guarding. He has taken ownership of the house and truck. I had to go into Bulk Barn and the bank the other day. I got to observe my new pup through the window of each place while other people were going by and near the truck. So long as people kept moving and going by he just observed, but when someone stopped within a few feet of the truck, such as to look at the cute dog, he went all growly at them, It was funny to watch. In the house he "alarms" at all new sounds that he hasn't heard before. This dog is going to be ok. He had a brother at the shelter, I am wishing I bought him as well, but two dogs is really enough for me, Dog hair is already considered a condiment in my home I don't need it to be the main course as well.
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

peppercorn wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:10 amThis dog is going to be ok. He had a brother at the shelter, I am wishing I bought him as well, but two dogs is really enough for me, Dog hair is already considered a condiment in my home I don't need it to be the main course as well.
I feel like you’re maybe leaving a hint there....

Unfortunately, I won’t win Mrs HP on this. For so long as my job keeps taking me away, it won’t happen as she does not want one more responsibility.

So back to the original plan... alarm for now I suppose. It has to be metal detecting type since motion will drive us nuts as the driveway is a deer Autobahn. When finances permit, fence and gate.
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

No, No hint. Dogs are not for everyone, lots of reasons people don't want one, I understand that. With there long life span it can be quite a commitment, and the training a slightly older pup from the rescue requires, may be a little more than first time dog owners should try. Best to get a puppy at the 9 to 12 week period, much easier to train. They told me this one was 5 months old, thats 20 weeks and because of that time at the shelter being untrained, I now have my work cut out breaking bad habits. (I suspect 5.5 maybe 6 month old). I have patients though, The dog doesn't know it but he won the lottery when I picked him.
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

I picked him up late Monday, I don't think I was back home until 7pm or so, so I am not counting last Monday, and I am not counting today, Sunday, as there as been no accidents in the house today. So that makes it 5 full days to house train him. He may have a odd accident but I think he and I are now on the same page as to where he can crap and its not in the house! This will make his life and mine much less stressful. It will only get better from here.
puppy dog.png
puppy dog.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 448 times
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

one of the perks of getting that 5 to 6 month old pups.. I will get mine beteen 8 to 9 weeks and I promise lol that it will take me longer then 5 day.. but what a good boy! that is one cute pup and I think he did hit the jackpot..
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

I took my dog to the vet for a check up. Because of the corona virus thing they don't want you going in the office, they come out and take your pet inside.When the lady got within 6 feet of my truck he was barking up a storm, (she was in a full face mask, that's what put him off) she opened the passenger door to lift him out and he was having none of it, she made a couple attempts to hold him with out success, then I heard a real deep snarl followed be the sound of jaws having missed there mark slam shut. It was at that point she said" why doing you lead him to the door on the leash". I walked him to the door and handed over the leash, and watched as he turned into a ancor that she could not get to budge or go inside. They had to give him his shots out side, and he only let them do that after 20 minutes of slowly giving him treats to calm down.
dog in truck 2.jpg
dog in truck 2.jpg (176.94 KiB) Viewed 422 times
I waited in the truck while this was going on so as to not be a distraction to my dog. Funny to watch. I don't think anyone is going to be able to take my dog! or take my truck if this dog is in it.
dog at home.jpg
dog at home.jpg (209.67 KiB) Viewed 421 times

Return to “Security and Defense”