A Journey Within

(Wilderness/Urban Survival), (BOB/BOL/INCH/ETC), (Shelters)
Wayne
Canada

A Journey Within

Post by Wayne » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:26 pm

I've been asked "In a survival situation, what is the largest single thing that will contribute to your survival?" Notwithstanding that every survival situation can be different, my response is 'mental attitude.'

Not everyone has been faced with a life or death scenario. Especially one which is prolonged for days, or weeks. It can be difficult to prepare yourself for such an eventuality.

Training is available to instruct a person how to start a fire, identify water sources and construct a shelter without the usual trappings associated with doing so (match, canteen & tent). But what about mental attitude?

Some training organizations focus on this. One is Canadian Outward Bound.

Outward Bound was founded in Wales in 1941 to focus on training Mariners how to survive at sea. Over the years it has evolved and currently branches are active in 33 countries. I completed their mountain wilderness course in 1969 and the instructor course in 1970.

I taught at the Keremeos B.C. headquarters and as a mountaineering expedition leader on Vancouver Island (Strathcona Park). At the time, Judges sometimes offered young offenders a choice of going to jail or attending a 28 day Outward Bound Course. These became some of my students. After a few days of training, it wasn't uncommon to receive a request to leave as they preferred jail.

The Outward Bound experience is a journey within. What people come to really understand is that they are personally capable of much more than they preconceive their abilities to be. They learn to put their preconceptions (about themselves and others) aside and become aware of the importance of the group. I don't believe that anyone who has completed the training is ever the same afterwards. It changes people's lives. It changed mine.

Courses are offered in B.C., Ontario and Atlantic Canada. Expeditions are available to international destinations (such as Everest) for those interested. For more information contact Canadian Outward Bound: http://www.outwardbound.ca/

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: A Journey Within

Post by thecrownsown » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:44 pm

That looks amazing. Looks like another well kept secret for some reason!

Thanks for posting this. And they are in Ontario. Bonus!
https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

Clarence
Canada

Re: A Journey Within

Post by Clarence » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:06 pm

Wayne wrote:I've been asked "In a survival situation, what is the largest single thing that will contribute to your survival?" Notwithstanding that every survival situation can be different, my response is 'mental attitude.'

Not everyone has been faced with a life or death scenario. Especially one which is prolonged for days, or weeks. It can be difficult to prepare yourself for such an eventuality.

Training is available to instruct a person how to start a fire, identify water sources and construct a shelter without the usual trappings associated with doing so (match, canteen & tent). But what about mental attitude?

Sa/
Wayne, couldn't agree more. Everything is Mental. will power is derived from mental and that will hopefully be just enough to keep you going, envision the next move and survive. All the unique skills are useless unless you can use them when required. you must be able to befriend an out and out pig or cruel person that you would never in a thousands years wish to share a coffee with, You must know how to to be alone and push back on the doubt and fear swirling around your head, block out pain, thirst etc I never took an outward bound course but have heard they are decent.

it would be nice if people were able to take a course.. on reading of people or adopting their mannerisms. When my daughter was considering ( she certainly did!!) choose security as a profession, one of the things i did for her was send her to a course on lie detection offered by the FBI. hell of a thing for a father to send his daughter too and from then on i knew she was always using it with me LOL. of course she now understood what i knew so it became a good game.

if people can find and befriend a good police officer with drug squad, vice or other such backgrounds it would likely help with the reading of people.

Return to “Survive and Thrive”