BOL - Alternative shelter

(Wilderness/Urban Survival), (BOB/BOL/INCH/ETC), (Shelters)
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: BOL - Alternative shelter

Post by Denob » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:40 pm

Forgetting about the toilet for a moment...as for sinks & showers, maybe you could rig something up with a small holding tank & valve system like they have on RVs?
I doubt grey water would produce much sewer gas.
Just a thought, or actually an after-thought.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:54 am

Denob wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:40 pm
Forgetting about the toilet for a moment...as for sinks & showers, maybe you could rig something up with a small holding tank & valve system like they have on RVs?
I doubt grey water would produce much sewer gas.
Just a thought, or actually an after-thought.
Thanks, grey water was the plan all along, depending, I may send to greenhouse for three seasons.
Much appreciated

Nagol
Canada

Post by Nagol » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:48 pm

the water feed system has a lot of options, it depends on location.
Gravity fed, hammer pump, a well with pressurizing hand pump, etc.
For the crapper, you can design a couple of options with no ptrap but convenience will be sacrificed.

For avoiding all p traps, it’s harder more maintenance and honestly quite inconvenient but that can be done as well.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:47 pm

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea of an RV setup. The toilet sits right on top of a holding tank...no P trap (at least mine doesn't have one). When the holding tank starts to fill up, you open a valve and out it goes to a septic tank.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:11 pm

Denob and Nagol, thank you both for feedback.
Question to denob, how the odor factor with holding tank under the toilet?

For the well, I was planning on conventional electric submersible. Plan on building structure over the well head so things are protected from the cold as much as possible when not in use. Six, eight.. inches of blue styrofoam all around it etc. if I size solar electrical enough, I should be able to put in minimum heating coil. It will take some good planning and some rejigging of conventional piping, but things will all need to drain by gravity and not have things pool up and pop in the cold. Frost freeze valves everywhere.

Ideally, I would like to get to it once a week in the winter, different times of the week as well, this should help with vandals.. obviously not a guarantee but a small help.

If in the end I do need a low amount of heat to keep things at 38 degrees, I may use propane and then fire up wood stove upon arrival. Thinking small 25 X 25 type structure and as simple as possible but with running water and conventionalist toilet

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:15 pm

The odor is a non issue.
When the toilet is not being flushed, there is a flap that closes water tight, so no sewer gasses can get through and instead go up the vent pipe.
Occasional use of RV septic treatment would also help, although we have it, but rarely use it.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:41 pm

Thanks, made me think of the “vacuflush” toilets I had on a boat.

Return to “Survive and Thrive”