The most realistic blackout breakdown ive ever seen!

Use this place to post links to prepper related sites.
Give a brief description and the link.
Please no self advertising here!
Clarence
Canada

Re: The most realistic blackout breakdown ive ever seen!

Post by Clarence »

Good points protector about not being able to run off family or close friends.
To help ease the pain and shock of the cost, maybe we look at these people as not just family but force multipliers. Mom may not be able to till a field etc, but she does have eyes to help keep watch and they can prepare food etc.

As to deterioration of things in a large blackout, I for one have little faith in any goverment being of any significant use to people in the rural areas, so it’s up to us. I pity a city or suburban resident or someone stuck in town when it happens. My biggest fear is my wife or daughter caught downtown. If cell works, I could fetch them at a certain point on my ATV or even my sled. But I need comms to rendezvous with them.

I have told them, to drive hard and fast and not worry about car or laws. I think I have drilled it into them enough that they would and they are all good drivers who know their cars. Wife has a suberu and that is an awesome little 4wd, daughter didn’t listen to dad and got a regular car. grrrr. Other daughter is able to hike and get to us. All three have car bags and all keep tanks no lower than half full!

Have a great weekend and if you haven’t already done so, do a little recce of your neighbourhood and look at who is around you, cars or old pickups parked in yard or driveway, house needing repair, junk in yards..... age of males, cloths, police cars seen responding to incidents...

Cheers
Last edited by Clarence on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Protector
Canada

Post by Protector »

Everyone has extra food and 80% have a wood stove. The town is so small everyone is from a homesteading family. I want to get caches set up in case my family needs them to get home
Wayne
Canada

Post by Wayne »

Before I retired from the police department, I worked organized crime, narcotics, tactical, general patrol and traffic in the GTA. I even did a nine month stint as a member of an outlaw motorcycle gang. I'm well aware of the criminal element in a major city, from a police perspective and as a criminal beaten by the police. I've been in jail and have mingled with the dark side of Society. For a time, I lived as one of them.

That said, there's no 'boogie man' waiting to run amok when the lights go out. Yes, there's a criminal element. Surprisingly, they too have sons and daughters whom they care about. A power outage will make their criminal actions easier and the police's job more difficult. During an outage people will act differently and yes, the risks to the general public will increase.

To answer your question Clarence, I wouldn't worry about my daughter (if I had one; I had three sons) during a two-day power outage. Like my sons, she would be skilled enough to kick the crap out of most 200 pound men and survive for weeks in the forest with only a knife. :-)

When a power outage took out NY City for 24 hours a few years back, there was looting, traffic was a disaster, but statistically it wasn't much to speak of. People got murdered, robbed and beaten. Just another day in Gotham. MVA's were up, but at the same time there were incredible feats of self-sacrifice. There were positives and there were negatives. People helped each other.

A power outage doesn't necessarily mean Armageddon or a Zombie apocalypse. It could just mean a few days without power. My money is on people helping one another for the first two-days. Although many don't trust government. I do trust those in our emergency services and our military to make a valiant effort to look after those in need. It will take over two days to overwhelm them. In the first two-days, you're largely dealing with inconvenience; this in-itself isn't life threatening.
None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.
HopeImReady
Canada

Post by HopeImReady »

All one needs to do, to get a hint of what would happen, is listen to the news after a brief event, or breakdown of even a small system in a medium-size or larger city. Boil water order/water treatment breaks down, a ton of people have no water stored and bottled water is sold out. Bridge closure. Winter storm. Power outage. Utilities/crews working to get things up again, but all you hear is whining about "what is the government doing about this?", yet nobody seems to feel sheepish that they had not even 2 days worth of food or water at home, nor any tools to dig themselves out or keep warm. In one group of friends (not close friends), I was surprised to discover that I am the only person who is not on psych meds. Those people would not do well in a crisis, esp if they ran out of their prescription.
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”
kootenay kid
Canada

Post by kootenay kid »

Wonderful posts everyone.
My husband is disabled, so I do need a little help sometimes to get things done around here. That being said, we are extremely fortunate to have great neighbours and friends. One young gal we know, lives about an hour away from us. We get along really well as we have the same values and beliefs. We have discussed societal breakdown with her, and have come to the conclusion that if all Hell breaks loose, grab her daughter, load the car with all the food she has and get here as fast as she can. Her gentleman friend already lives a short 10 minute walk from us. (These folks built my new pantry and helped me fill and organize it), so they know 1st hand what we have, and do not talk to others about it. They will be bringing a bunch of their peps to keep here, as we have a secure place for their stuff. It's a good spot to keep foods that can't freeze. With them here, and our other neighbours, mostly being preppers, we have a good chance of surviving a blackout breakdown. With having a spring on the property, and a river, out our front door, and a water purifier on sight (with extra filters on order), and all the dried dood that I have put up, we'll be ok. The young man that I mentioned is really into pressure canning of anything edibal. His canners are huge. He has two, and I have one that he calls tiny. Mine does 7 quarts, his do 10 at once. He has the single propane burners for each. I have 3 freezers full of meat and stuff, so we would can up everything we could. He buys his canning bottles by the pallet.
We are truley blessed, living where we do.
Thanks for letting me babble on.
KK
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Clarence wrote:

Have a great weekend and if you haven’t already done so, do a little recce of your neighbourhood and look at who is around you, cars or old pickups parked in yard or driveway, house needing repair, junk in yards..... age of males, cloths, police cars seen responding to incidents...

Cheers
I quess I wouldn't meet your high standards, old cars?, ..yes, old pickups?...yes, House repairs?...Hell yes and all kinds.Junk in yard?...I call them projects and lots of them, Clothing often value village and some with burn holes from welding....Ahhhh the shame of it
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
Protector
Canada

Post by Protector »

I talked to my buddy again tonight; Well see but it's on him now! I got enough trouble just doing what I got to do. He's got the only house outside of Montreal so. His very large family will depend on him if something happens. Some Ppl would rather have nothing and purify with fire. One thing that was off in the video was Ppl in houses having nothing. Everyone has a month of food they'd rather not eat. Crackers/ tuna, noodles and the like. They were right on with Ppl on the road having about nothing and no cash to boot. They would have to steal on the third day trying to get home. I have to admit I don't have enough water in my van to last three days. I'd need 18gallons of water 24 with the dogs. Plus plastic isn't an option in the winter as it freezes. Plus the full size tire/ booster pack/ direct hookup to battery tire inflator/ oils/ windshield washer fluid/ BOB'S. Where do you folks put everything?
Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence »

peppercorn wrote:
Clarence wrote:

Cheers
I quess I wouldn't meet your high standards, old cars?, ..yes, old pickups?...yes, House repairs?...Hell yes and all kinds.Junk in yard?...I call them projects and lots of them, Clothing often value village and some with burn holes from welding....Ahhhh the shame of it
Peppercorn, there’s stuff and then junk stuff. When analyzing people, one must be neutral and not prejudiced. I know people who are multi millionaires but looking at them, some don’t look like they can rub two cents together. It’s how the stuff is scattered about, the look of the people ( not just their cloths).

Now, think about it, your a prepper and the stuff and attire you say you wear is a clue to your attitude, right? So, looking at your yard.. may tell a person, your free spirited., don’t give a snap etc. Not evil, but a small clue to approach to life. If someone waved at you or gave you a nod while driving past, I am guessing you would return the polite jester. The type of person I was referring to with the junk... likely wouldn’t.

Hard to go into profiling course here but it the whole picture you need to look at or analyze.

I have a neighbour that has old buses etc and more junk than some garages but they are the salt of the earth. They just can’t part with stuff. That is learnt by talking to them and their attitude when simply driving by
Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence »

Protector wrote:I talked to my buddy again tonight;......

= I have to admit I don't have enough water in my van to last three days. I'd need 18gallons of water 24 with the dogs. Plus plastic isn't an option in the winter as it freezes. Plus the full size tire/ booster pack/ direct hookup to battery tire inflator/ oils/ windshield washer fluid/ BOB'S. Where do you folks put everything?
Protector. Use plastic water bottles that are 3/4 full. I have been doing it for years and only one ever leaked. I freshen them all up three times a year. Spring, mid summer and around November. Helps take thatvstale taste of frozen water put.
As to size vehicle. Yukon xl works for me, wife’s kit is in suberu forester. She doesn’t travel into town like I do or go long runs. Hate to hVe a smart car. I would be in a world of pain and need to tow a trailer! Lol
Protector
Canada

Post by Protector »

I've done that but how does one drink frozen water in a plastic bottle? With metal at least you can heat it with a survival stove from dollorama

Return to “Prepper Links”