Gardening in 2016

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
farmgal
Canada

Gardening in 2016

Post by farmgal » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:25 am

So with the rising costs of food, anyone else growing and planning on expanding their gardens this year?

Are changing what you are growing?

We will continue to grow our main gardens, and working in the food forest, but we are also planning a new 5400 square garden this year, it should nicely help increase our total yield by a couple thousand pounds combined human and critter fodder if I do it right, zone 5 and all heritage plants..

Last year we made a huge bean teepee and going to make more of them this year as well

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: Gardening in 2016

Post by Denob » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:26 pm

I don't know about expansion, but yes we will be growing this year as usual.
The difference will be WHAT we grow. We have decided not to do any "try it and see" crops this year...back to basics that we know grow well and we can store.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:19 pm

I hear you on the storage, I have invested the research and money into tracking down a number of new -old heritage plants that are going to be a first for winter storage.. including winter Storage Black Raddish, Winter storage Giant Kolarbi (the size of cabbage heads from Sweden) more storage cabbage and at least six more winter squashes that are to be able to hold six months and one up to two years.. we will see.. we will see.

I will be growing sweet potatoes again this year, they are turning into a very nice successful crop and I am at the point of overwintering them, an starting my own slips..

The other thing that I am add in this coming year is Skirret, it is very sweet and is a winter storage.. its hard to get and there are three sources being grown so it needs a good amount of culling (which we can eat) but I love the idea of having something that is so sweet on the farm.

cernunnos5

Post by cernunnos5 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:32 pm

Just more of the same for us. Now that we have an animal that eats it, I'll Focus on bringing more of the feral apple trees into production. I think this year is all about the dead hedges so we can get the animals working for us. If they clear an area for us, more squashes can go in for more winter feed. I also want to systematically find every service berry tree and cut them down so they will grow back at a more user friendly, pickable size. And fence posts. The beginning of bringing coppicing into the future production of this farm. So a lot of my gardening this year is going to be done with a chainsaw.

And then their is the other crop. I hope to grow more people. We are in discussions with bringing a couple onto the farm that want to do more serious market farming than we are interested in.
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:44 pm

Let me know how that goes with cutting down the saskatoons down, I have found that while they do grow back, the ones that are cut down never seem to produce as big of berries but I guess if you can not get to them, then that is a issue for sure..

Ah, Saskatoons (aka Serviceberry out here) was something I have picked so many buckets of over the years.. they do not like the farm, I am going to try a few new kinds of them to see if I can find one that does like the farm.. For something that grows like a weed in alberta, it cracks me up that they just die here within three years of planting them here

Not a wild one to be found that has proven itself locally either, I look every spring..

Good luck on the people, I am being more open to having a helping hand on the farm then I have ever been.. and in fact am looking forward and am grateful for the help, thankfully, I will have horse power to help in the bigger area this spring, it will really help to have Brandy using some horse drawn equipment for that new garden area.

I did a few speaking events last year, and I am already booked for this year and its continued to grow and expand, (off-farm talks) I am both excited and a bit nervous that our newest hall rental has a hundred tickets for sale.. but if it sells out, it will be a great thing.

I am honestly really planning a trip out your way, I want to see new land and have a holiday, you know that I am going to ask to get to come and visit right C5 :) Even if you just want to meet for coffee in the closest town will work for me.. LOL

cernunnos5

Post by cernunnos5 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:21 pm

We would love to have you. We can bypass the usual security procedures as you are proven...and its not like we couldn't track you down if the silverware goes missing. :lol: Like we have silverware...

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:28 pm

LOL, you crack me up.. ha ha.. good to know, because the idea of coming to your area and not getting to meet you would be a sad thing, and I know that we will talk each others ears off.

But on a different note.. have you used that new ground breaker raddish yet? I got my hand on some and plan to see how it goes this year, I am very excited not only cause it is a sod buster but because it winter kills and self-rots out adding to the soils without need of tilling.. I am going to put it to the test!

https://bay.ifas.ufl.edu/newsletters/20 ... ver-crops/

cernunnos5

Post by cernunnos5 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Tell us how it works out. We gad a similar type of daikon recommended to us by an organic farm consultant. I'm not ready to put money into cover crops just yet.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:52 pm

Well, I am not quite thinking of it as cover crop per say, one, this raddish is pulled and used as cattle and sheep-goat fodder in EU, so I can use it the same.. second, I want part of this years crop to be my seed for the next so I consider them a start up cost.

but when it comes to cover crops, I have a local farmer that sells me 80 pounds for 7 dollars, so at that price, even If I am putting in a hundred pounds per acre as a cover crop, its so min for the output costs that I feel its worth it.

But I will let you know how it goes

OddDuck

Post by OddDuck » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:09 pm

farmgal wrote:Well, I am not quite thinking of it as cover crop per say, one, this raddish is pulled and used as cattle and sheep-goat fodder in EU, so I can use it the same.. second, I want part of this years crop to be my seed for the next so I consider them a start up cost.

but when it comes to cover crops, I have a local farmer that sells me 80 pounds for 7 dollars, so at that price, even If I am putting in a hundred pounds per acre as a cover crop, its so min for the output costs that I feel its worth it.

But I will let you know how it goes
Does the man have more seed available? At that price I would broad cast it out in the pastures and see if anything takes.

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”