No shortages?

Post general Canadian discussions here.
peppercorn

Re: No shortages?

Post by peppercorn »

Clarence wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:39 am With likelihood ood of second wave starting to hit here in Ontario, I would guess this weekend or next should see those lines at Costco ...increase. Key shelves will likely be bare by end of first week in October.

A friend is building a small log cabin for weekends and they are hitting a wall for buying 2/4 and plywood. Told them, build the rafters out of four inch hardwood trees and use poly and tarps for now. Floor may need to remain gravel or sand for now.

Wife and I are now reviewing what we can logically afford to bring in to top things up, but moving forward it will be, unless really needed, curbside pickup till this is over.
2x4s and plywood. I had to buy some the other day. 3/8 inch construction grade plywood, cheapest I could find, 24.00 dollars a sheet. 7/16 osb was 28.00 dollars a sheet!
I would not want to have to build anything with lumber prices today. 2015, 2016 I was buying the same osb for 9 dollars, sometimes less.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

It’s insane. My friend called me today to say they found some. They took half the available supply of the decent sized hardware company and that was for a tiny building, little larger then a garden shed! Pretty grim scenario when you think how little that store has in stoand this from a country of trees coming out the wazoo.

Imagine that concept when analyzing how things will look next spring, We are beyond up the creek with no paddle ( maybe Ok if made from recycled plastic)

I said to some friends don’t laugh when I say we could look like Venezuela in a few years. I know, I know extreme “eh”. Canada could conceivably run a deficit of a 1.5 trillion dollars plus in 1.5 years if things continue and we keep trying to prop up people and companies.

Not good rusty, not very good at all
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Clarence wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:06 am It’s insane. My friend called me today to say they found some. They took half the available supply of the decent sized hardware company and that was for a tiny building, little larger then a garden shed! Pretty grim scenario when you think how little that store has in stoand this from a country of trees coming out the wazoo.

Imagine that concept when analyzing how things will look next spring, We are beyond up the creek with no paddle ( maybe Ok if made from recycled plastic)

I said to some friends don’t laugh when I say we could look like Venezuela in a few years. I know, I know extreme “eh”. Canada could conceivably run a deficit of a 1.5 trillion dollars plus in 1.5 years if things continue and we keep trying to prop up people and companies.

I will agree with you about propping up businesses, That should have long ago stopped. In fact a full stop is in order in my province as billions have been given to oil companies ( American ones) Though I dont mind the help to individuals (Canadian ones) . If it can be targeted to them.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

peppercorn wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:35 am
Clarence wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:06 am It’s insane. My friend called me today to say they found some. They took half the available supply of the decent sized hardware company and that was for a tiny building, little larger then a garden shed! Pretty grim scenario when you think how little that store has in store, this from a country of trees coming out the wazoo.

I will agree with you about propping up businesses, That should have long ago stopped. In fact a full stop is in order in my province as billions have been given to oil companies ( American ones) Though I dont mind the help to individuals (Canadian ones) . If it can be targeted to them.
Agree about cutting subsidies to large and especially American companies, most CERTAINLY not because they are US based, because I love the Americans, but rather out of priorities. As this site is all about being prepared, we need to focus on survival and I am sorry, but propping up companies and people with hundreds of billions in borrowed money isn’t the way to survive. Our nation like it’s people need to really buckle down and get basics in good shape. Yes sports is in effect a business but it could disappear and life will easily roll on. Yes people will lose a job selling hotdogs, wings, beer...but they can do the same thing in another area. Athletes are like caviar in a hurricane, not necessary. However, getting back to how this effects our ability or the impact on our survival is key.
The hard truth is, people and governments are soft, living way beyond their means and are not ready for what can and to a minor extent is befalling us. People are not facing reality and yet we who are concerned about survival are. The real impact on all of us will be when the music stops and people suddenly start looking around and they start looking at those who do have stuff. First it will be the obvious rich but in short order, very short order in fact, it will be the neighbor.

Societies thin veneer of politeness can peel off very fast and yes, great examples of people coming together, kindness and compassion also pop out, but basic survival will also become evident. We have these cute images of people in previous decades helping each other, the London bombs falling during ww2....but look around and you see a much different world dynamic today.

We have terrorism and rest assured they will and likely are taking advantage of this event.
Extremely little trust or confidence in all levels of governance and that includes police, the courts..
Distrust in business.
Distrust in the rich.
Hate for the banks and other financial institutions
We are in debt to our eyeballs and the millisecond the Visa card is cut, people are screwed.
We live in congested cities versus on farms.
We import much of our food from other nations.
Our food needs refrigeration like never before.
Our dependence on medicines and worse yet, happy pills is an enormous weakness during a crisis. I may be off with numbers and can’t be bothered to research it up, but I remember some decent stats indicating close to fifty percent of population is on one form or another of mind pills! Even if it was only twenty five percent, that’s a huge dynamic.
We see governments being completely unable to even organize a very simple concept of having people be out of the elements for a simple covid test, how anyone believes they can handle a truly serious event is beyond ludicrous. The only option the government has for a serious event is emergency measures act and that will be to try and protect the crown. The people will and never have been part of the “plan”. The focus is law and order and the survival of government structure and key Crown assets and critical infrastructure until such time as things can start to come back to normal or new normal. Rationing of food.. can be expected.

There is so much more to detail but the “quick point” back to shortages is, expect a great deal more in all manner of shortages as this drags on and the financial impact of all this borrowed and pi$$ed away money becomes very evident.

Look well to what the immediate and one Or two year future can look like, I do not see sunshine and lollipops by any stretch and that is very worrisome for me and anyone I know who is well informed.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Tried finding regular mouth mason jar sealers to use with my vacuum sealer! Zip nada,nothing.

My friend got their small order of wood. A 3/4, finished on one side sheet of plywood was 79.00 plus tax.
Tryed getting a gallon of distilled water at Walmart, nope! So many thing impossible to get, I shudder to think what the spring will look like.

Haven’t been inside food stores in months, what do the shelves look like this week?
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Clarence wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:00 am Tried finding regular mouth mason jar sealers to use with my vacuum sealer! Zip nada,nothing.

My friend got their small order of wood. A 3/4, finished on one side sheet of plywood was 79.00 plus tax.
Tryed getting a gallon of distilled water at Walmart, nope! So many thing impossible to get, I shudder to think what the spring will look like.

Haven’t been inside food stores in months, what do the shelves look like this week?
I was just in SuperStore today. Full stock from what I could see. Just like the before times.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

peppercorn wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:05 am
Clarence wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:00 am Tried finding regular mouth mason jar sealers to use with my vacuum sealer! Zip nada,nothing.

I was just in SuperStore today. Full stock from what I could see. Just like the before times.
I’ve noticed how the west often seems to have more stock. I think there may be some issues with credit cards being maxed and people being tapped out. Spoke with a good source and they are finding more people sleeping in their cars at night ( in Kingston parking lots). Last one was a Middle aged couple in a pricey Audi, cloths and bags in the back seat.
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Had to go to Home Depot yesterday for a quick errand. Had a curious look at the lumber section. Though the racks weren’t as full as “pre pandemic”, I could have picked up whatever I would have needed for a small project. Quick glance at the price and though I can’t remember what I should have expected price-wise, I certainly didn’t get sticker shock from what I saw.

I have to guess that the West may not be fairing as bad.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

helicopilot wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:47 pm Had to go to Home Depot yesterday for a quick errand. Had a curious look at the lumber section. Though the racks weren’t as full as “pre pandemic”, I could have picked up whatever I would have needed for a small project. Quick glance at the price and though I can’t remember what I should have expected price-wise, I certainly didn’t get sticker shock from what I saw.

I have to guess that the West may not be fairing as bad.
Lucky you for the wood. Serious issue out here.
What a hoot this is but the good thing is it will hopefully teach people to wise up about where we manufacture stuff and the importance of stashing extra stuff aside for mess ups. I don’t have as much lumber as I wish but enough to fix a small windstorm event, build a decent Emergency greenhouse. Have small wood stove set aside for it as well. I really feel bad for good people with the long held and practiced desire to be better prepared but find funds on the short supply. Peppercorn is I think our likely pro at being frugal but his experience or skill sets are not available to most. I am fortunate to have no shortage of trees so could build just about any structure I need, even a roof of poly or tarps could be done.

People in need of lumber may wish to take a drive and see if there are any old half collapsed structures out in the countryside, farmer may be willing to take some money for a shed they haven’t used in twenty years
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Labour industry?

Trying to get a windshield changed due to severe rock/windshield interaction. Closest appointment is 3 weeks out and they said being completely swamped. That’s at a larger chain place. Tried to call some of the ma-n-pa places and they don’t even pick up the phone.

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”